Rush Update - "Vapor Trails"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_B, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

http://www.atlantic-records.com/rush/index.html

2. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

Something else I read about the new release--this is still unconfirmed/rumor, so have some salt available...
    An Atlantic rep heard the disc and said it was going to be heavy. He mentioned you can tell they have been listening to Tool. He said think Tool/U2-type rock.
    I this is true, could it be heavier then Counterparts? I feel that was one of the heaviest they have done in a long time (at least since the 70's). I have been a huge Rush fan for many years, and I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of May 14th (estimated release date). It is nice to have something to look forward to when it comes to Rush. [​IMG]
    --Scott

3. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>An Atlantic rep heard the disc and said it was going to be heavy. He mentioned you can tell they have been listening to Tool.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Rush has earned a rare place in my mind: I have complete faith in anything they release. I just know it will be great.

Their last two albums were pretty darn heavy, too. Moving Pictures wasn't even particularly heavy at all. They haven't been "heavy" since 2112. They're not a metal band.

With Dreamtheater just having released a new album, King Crimson planning to release one very soon, and Rush finishing up theirs, I'm in rock heaven.

5. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>Their last two albums were pretty darn heavy, too. Moving Pictures wasn't even particularly heavy at all. They haven't been "heavy" since 2112. They're not a metal band

6. Scott Pagac

I agree Rush was never a metal band. Counterparts was more raw sounding (and a lot of that was due to the producer and what he had the band do to get that sound) than anything they have done in a long, long time.
    I would like to clarify my earlier post. I do not think the rep meant for his comments to be taken as this is going to be a metal album. He did state keyboards were not used much at all on this disc. Also, only a couple of songs were around 3 minutes in length, with more being over 5. Nothing like the epics of days gone by, but still Rush. [​IMG]
    One more thing...in case this was not already known, it looks like 13 songs will be on this release, one of which being (hold on to yourself...) part 4 of Fear. The song's title is Freeze.
    This just in... from http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicRush/mar14_rush-can.html
    The unofficial track listing...
    "One Little Victory,"
    "Earthshine,"
    "Ghost Rider,"
    "Peacable Kingdom,"
    "Secret Touch,"
    "How It Is,"
    "Vapor Trails,"
    "Ceiling Unlimited,"
    "The Stars Look Down,"
    "Freeze (Pt. IV of "Fear"),"
    "Sweet Miracle,"
    "Nocturne,"
    "Out Of The Cradle."
    Enjoy... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    --Scott

7. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

Scott,

Some other rumors I have heard (along with those you just mentioned) is that 3 songs are over 7 minutes in length and that there are 2 instrumentals.

If this is true, that would be sweet. I am not holding my breath though.

8. Scott Pagac

I have heard the song length thing as well. I have not heard about the instrumentals, though. That would be great. I can not wait until May 14th to hear some extended Rush jamming.

I really think the time off did the band good. Can you imagine what the songs will be like? Neil has a couple of things to feed off of for lyrics this time around. The terrible losses he has endured in his personal life (I believe that will be the subject matter for "The Stars Look Down") along with the 9-11 event and what it has led up to. Add to this what has been heard musically from Geddy (his solo project) and Alex (the Victor release and the way he played on the last tour), and all I can say is, "Hold on to your butts."

I am hoping I am not setting myself up disappointment. I am not saying Rush has ever done anything terrible, they just have some albums that are much stronger than others. I hope this is one of them.

--Scott

9. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I can see the rumor being true. With Neil's Pearts wife and daughter passing away I think one can expect a darker, heavier emotional disc

10. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I'm interested to see how I will react to this album. I've been a die-hard since 1980 (Permanent Waves) and they have been a huge part of my life until about 3 years ago when I really started "branching out" to other bands and for the first time, Rush was no longer in the forefront in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I still love them, and will always have a special place for them (how sappy does that sound?), but I just don't listen to them day-in and day-out like I used to.
    P.S. Wasn't "Fear" supposed to be a trilogy? [​IMG]

11. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    Is the date the the release date for the DVD Audio version of the new record?

12. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Jesper,

Where did you hear that there would even be a DVD Audio version? That would be awesome if it's true...

13. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Rush in DVD-Audio ???? Be still my heart !

I remember when I first got my Denon, I tweaked the 5-Channel Stereo DSP until La Villa Strangiato filled the room just right. Imagine if it was re-mastered in Surround (DVD-A, SACD, whatever !!!)

I haven't been a big fan of Rush's during the 80's, but thought Test for Echo was awesome. C'mon May !!!!

14. Michael Bermudez

15. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    ScottH and others -> go to http://www.dvd-forum.ch/
    On the left side you will see the "software" button - move to that and select DVD Audio, when done scroll to the bottom and u will see a big list - and it also says this "Rush - New album"
    Jesper

16. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

...must...resist...urge to make joke about getting the vapors....

Seriously, I can't wait.

-Dave

17. Dax_M

Dax_M Auditioning

Man, I can't wait! The icing on the cake would be for Atlantic to re-release some old stuff in SACD. Oh my, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Oh yeah, i'd be holed up in my house listening to them over, and over, and over.

Dax

18. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

19. Dax_M

Dax_M Auditioning

What a bummer. As a person just getting into SACD (got a NS900V DVD/SACD player), i'm still amazed in the detail and dynamics the format brings. I'm constantly thinking of older stuff that I would die to hear with this improved clarity.

Dax

20. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Yeah, but the stuff I'd really like to hear from Rush on SACD are the Mercury albums, so I'm pretty upbeat that that might happen in the next couple of years, if things go well in SACDland.

I've noticed that 70s and early 80s analog recordings generally turn out better on SACD than later 80s and 90s digital material, so the Atlantic albums may not be "all that" on SACD anyway.

Ryan