What's new

Rush: "Snakes and Arrows" discussion (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Wow Nathan--"you just don't [freakin'] get it." Yes, you ARE shitting on MY hopes that the new release will not have many of us arguing about s.q. Yes, although you state the contrary, you ARE re-opening an old wound.

Of course I've heard R30 but that--along with nearly everything else you state in your post above--is not the topic of this thread, which is not a litmus test of your love of the band but supposed to be about the NEW STUDIO ALBUM not catalog concert DVD sound quality debate. Granted, you're not the first to take it off topic, but you ARE the one who literally quoted my admonition about keeping it on topic and then ran afield into a contentious issue on which guys simply have fundamental disagreements that have been discussed/argued in more appropriate venues elsewhere.

This is not supposed to be a omnibus Rush thread. Just because it's Rush-related doesn't mean it's appropriate here. If you have a problem with staying on thread topic, your issues are not with me but rather with HTF rules.

AGAIN, PLEASE (and that's my fourth time to use the magic word)--let's get it back and keep it on topic.

Speaking of, the Universal e-list sent notice of the 'single' being on iTunes and it featured a very cool, (probably Hugh Syme?) image of a pier leading into a mildly choppy sea with a baby carriage at the end of the pier. There's a lightning bolt going into the carriage, and a rainbow and a hawk (?) in the sky. Beautiful but a little disturbing, like the Yousuf Karsh GUP cover.

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator
Dog Years is one of my top 15 favorite Rush songs...

I am a lifelong Rush fanatic. I have been listening to them since 1976 and their music has been a huge huge part of my liffe for over 30 years. I'm probably one of the few Rush fans (and maybe any artists' fan) who feels that Rush can do no wrong.

Out of every Rush song, there are 5 that i really do not listen to..that's right only 5 songs that i don't like...Carve Away the Stone, High Water, Tai Shan, Heresy and Sweet Miracle...

I absolutely love the song "Far Cry". it's powerful and melodic something most music made nowadyas lack.

My first Rush concert was the Permanent Waves tour and that show is still my all-time favorite concert experience.

A new Rush album and tour is heaven on earth!!

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator
i have been longing for another epic since 1981!!

Bytor is always in the running for my favorite song of all time by any artist..

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Just a quick note regarding the SQ of "A Far Cry", after running the iPod through the 2CH system.....

OK...it is a 128K download, and as expected the cymbals sound like crap...the usually swishy, swirly, noise that is the standard for low bit rate rips.

But put that aside, and there seems to be a nice bit of dynamics to the bass and drums, and in particular the sound of Neils snare and tom tom work.

It does not to me sound at all flat and lifeless, like a certain recent title, that dare not speak its name. I am cautiously optimistic that what I am hearing here is carried forth to the CD, minus the crap cymbals (!).

Brian

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
argh man, i used to really love rush. fave album = hemispheres. this track isn't doin it for me right now. i'll probably just d/l the album or just look for a cheap used copy.

Nathan A

Second Unit
After one listen, I'd say I pretty much like the new song. It is a little heavier than their more recent stuff, especially Neil's drumming. The bass line generally isn't terribly complex, but it does have a really good, smooth sound to it. The guitar work seems like pretty typical recent Alex fare, which is fine, but I'm hoping for more interesting sounds from him on the rest of the album.

Virtuality is my favorite TFE track. Listen to the percussion!

And Power Windows is a good album. My latest favorite from it is Middletown Dreams. Alex's guitar work on it just does something for me, and the lyrics are thought provoking. I'm also liking more and more the keyboard driven Losing It from Signals.

This and Dream Theater are big releases for the summer, but don't forget about Planet X, too ("Quantum")! It's set for May 22.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Here is a more specific take on "A Far Cry"....not that anyone is asking:)

Ten seconds or so in, you know its Rush, as they liberally quote from various bits of their Classic period output. Then a heavy riff reminiscent of tracks on VT, and a chorus that is not too dissimilar from stuff on "My Favorite headache".

Repeat liberally, and you have a new track that says to all the world that THIS IS RUSH. Works for me. Compared to 99.999999999% of what passes for "new" hard rock music, it sounds like a winner.

Ged can't nail the high notes any more.....not exactly a news flash, and IMHO, he is still in very fine voice.

No guitar solo? BFD. I am sure there will be room for solos on the rest of the LP, but really, what does anyone think can be done in terms of a guitar solo that has not been done before? I'll take a track with balls and hooks over one filled with un-needed wankery 10 out of 10 times. And this track has balls and hooks in spades. I played this sucker a 1/2 dozen times today, and its is securely stuck in my ear.

Damn, I can't wait for the rest of this LP!

Brian

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I have a 320 kbps version of Far Cry, and I can say with pretty high confidence that unless all the other tracks were mixed differently, we won't have have the Vapor Trails debacle again.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I tend to agree. Especially after seeing/hearing him on that new ESPN fantasy baseball commercial. For those of you that haven't seen it, I found it on YouTube:

ESPN Rock Opera

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit

David, I love Sweet Miracle! But I agree with you about the others.

Paul, you're right. I don't get it. I don't get your single-minded campaign to control what I say, and yet the dozens of other off-topic comments by others here go completely ignored by you. Stop hiding behind forum rules elevate your personal attack upon me into something other than it is. Everyone here is clearly talking about more than just the new single. I will continue saying whatever I like until notified by an actual moderator that my comments are not wanted.

Sound quality IS an issue related to the new single, because the remaster of Vapor Trails--which was apparently completed last year--was being held back until the release of the new album. The reasoning was that since there were many of the original VT CDs still in stock, no need to release it yet. So many of us see this new release as a twofold reason to be excited. By choosing to tie the release of the new Rush CD to the remaster of VT, the band has directly connected S&A to those issues going back to 2002. Not me.

The new song is growing on my, btw. There are still parts about it that bug me, but I agree with Brian's assessment that it blends several distinct Rush periods. I still stand by my assessment that it lacks any climax or development.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Is this really true? Where did you hear it? That is great news if true!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Nathan are you being disingenuous on purpose? Or are you truly that clueless? I'm not trying to control what you say. I am making an issue of where you're choosing to say it. And it's an admonition that applies to all, not just you.

Now you're wanting to move the goal post and say that my criticism was of any discussion of s.q. Wrong. Rehashing the Rio s.q. debate was/is what I'm saying is not appropriate here.

And I second Scott's inquiry about where you heard/read that the VT remaster's release is being tied to the new record. This is the first I've heard such.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I just checked the old listing I left on my Amazon Wish List for the VT remaster. I added that on July 20, 2004.

Work may have commenced earlier and then ceased but I tend to doubt that the remaster was just completed last year. The label announced that release at the same time as all the other Atlantic remasters a few years ago.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I wanted to add something else to this thread.

I just got done listening to "Far Cry" again, and I wanted to change my initial thoughts (or add to them). For some reason, when the singing began I couldn't help but think of "Dog Years" from "Test for Echo".

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Geeeebus titty f*ckin' Christ! I thought I'd never see this based upon Ged having said in interviews that he doesn't see the band using surround sound for anything other than live albums.

http://rush-preorder.shop.musictoday...2_10946&page=1

There's supposedly going to be a "DVD-Album" (the more mainstream consumer-friendly name used to refer to DVD-Audio discs in one of the format's last ditch marketing efforts) version of Snakes. Damn--I don't wanna get my hopes up to only have them dashed by the label calling 20-bit/48k "high resolution" (that's more like 'enhanced'), but daaaaamn!

And they're working with producer Nick Raskulinecz who co-produced Foo Fighters' One By One, the DVD-A of which was recommended to me by none other than George Massenburg, an amazing producer/recording engineer who's kind enough to respond to my e-mails despite being as busy as you'd have to be to chalk up over 400 album credits. I've had that on my Wish List since shortly after it won 2004 Best Rock Album and the DVD-A became available. Off to Elusive Disc to finally buy it.

Ugh--hate that the "DVD-A" will supposedly not be available until May 15.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
This sucks. From what I can gleen about this dvd-album format online, it is NOT dvd-audio, just a dvd-video disc. It will have the documentary, the 5.1 mix, and maybe a 16/48 stereo mix (or maybe just DD stereo, yuck). This is the kind of disc that used to be included as an extra with the cd for an extra buck or two. Now they are trying to sell it separately. Bogus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks