What's new

Rush: "Snakes and Arrows" discussion (1 Viewer)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
The new Rush album, "Snakes and Arrows" is out May 1. The first single can be heard at www.rush.com. I like the new song, it sounds like something from Geddy's solo album, "My Favorite Headache".

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
This is weird...I was just about to post the info for this and decided to do a search first and you must have posted while I was doing the search.

Thankfully, I disagree with you about sounding like 'My Favorite Headache' (not a big fan of that), however it does have a 'Vapor Trails' vibe to it. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I was hoping for it to be more of a progression from that (and please don't have that mixing problem Vapor Trails had!) It does sound like they brought Neil's drumming a little more to the forefront than in recent releases, so that's always a good thing.

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
Listening to the first track, "Far Cry", on headphones for the first time. Not bad! It is, in my opinion, better than anything off of Vapor Trails, but it does seem like the boys are trying a bit *too* hard to rock out, especially with the main riff. It also seems like they could've trimmed about :30 to 1:00 or so.

Having said all that, I love me some Rush and cannot wait for this record to be released. Three instrumentals? What were they thinking??!?!?!? :)

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator

Ripped from the awesome rushisaband.com:

The other song that really stood out was "Malignant Narcissim", one of three instrumentals on the album and one that makes Alex's head spin just thinking about it. I believe this one ran for under 5 minutes, so it's not a "La Villa"-length epic, more line with a "YYZ" or "Where's My Thing?".

Though now it says there's only 2. Only!

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
I'm a Rush fanatic, but this new song ain't doing it for me. I've been listening to the little 15 second clip for a few weeks now, anticipating the promised return to the 70's epic song structure. It even sounded a bit like Jacob's Ladder meets Hemispheres. But man, this song was a let down. Sounds more like Roll the Bones/Counterparts/Test For Echo than any other Rush period (one of the least creative, generic-rock periods in Rush's long history). What a shame. I would rather have a Vapor Trails Part II than a repeat of the gentle rock of the 90s Rush.

Actually, the person who said this sounds like My Favorite Headache was pretty accurate, too--which is surprising because I love that album. I think a couple of Geddy's best melodies are on that recording. But this song is just bland.

I'm really starting to dislike Geddy's singing style lately. His vocal melodies are rambling and boring, as though he's having a tough time interpretting Neil's lyrics. This was evident on Vapor Trails to an extent (I can't stand the chorus to "Ooone little VIC--tor--yyy," for instance). But the trend seems to have worsened on this recording.

I'm not bashing Rush. Believe me, it pains me greatly to say these things. I was really looking forward to this single. Oh well, maybe the rest is better. And we all know the tour will be fantastic, as usual.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm liking the tune on first listen, although I'm not blown away by it. The structure does resemble the Counterparts/ Test For Echo/ My Favorite Headache era (I liked those albums, but not Roll The Bones), but with a definite attempt to apply an earlier sound to it.

I think he misses being able to really screech like in the good old days. :)

Say, are you Nathan "FierceGameBiz" Eddy? :)

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
FierceGameBiz? Never heard of him.

I didn't really like Geddy's early screeching period, either. I prefer the style and range he settled into in Permenant Waves to the present. And I don't think his voice sounds bad, now. It's just the notes and inflection he chooses. It's like he's emphasizing the wrong syllables, or something. Or like he's still searching for the right melody to lay on top of the music, and not quite getting it right. It sounds cheesy and forced.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes it can, Moving Pictures (Rush fight!) :)

I like the new song and agree with others that we hopefully won't be seeing a mastering disaster like VT.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
To me, it sounds VERY MUCH like Vapor Trails Part II. And I guess this stuff is really subjective because while I'd agree with you about Roll The Bones (probably my least favorite studio album) and Test For Echo, I thought Counterparts was the best and most creative thing they did post-Moving Pictures. I love that album.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Counterparts is definetly their best 90's output. Even though Presto has a glossy production, I still think it's a great batch of songs. To me it sounds like the band progressing. The bass is out front, so maybe that's why it reminds me of My Favorite Headache. I think it will be a good album, even if it is bashing religion. Now, where's the VT remaster?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah, what's the latest with that? Last I heard, it was in the works, but then it was postponed (or canceled?). But that was like 3 years ago.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think Roll The Bones is an underrated album. Yes, there are some clunkers on there ("You Bet Your Life", "Face Up"), but there are some of my favorites on that album as well ("Dreamline", "Bravado", "Roll The Bones", "Where's My Thing", "Heresy", "Ghost Of A Chance")

Maybe it is because I've heard a bunch of those songs live quite a few times now. Rush's songs tend to come more alive in a live setting.

As for the new one, I don't expect the first single to be the greatest song in the world. It is certainly better than "One Little Victory" or "Stick It Out".

Jason

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Really looking forward to "Snakes and Arrows".
I did listen to the 15 second snippet of Far Cry but I want to wait for the full CD to listen to it as a whole.

Good year for music purchases: Rush, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and Symphony X all releasing new titles this year!

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Definitely! In fact, I'd say their last 3 "first" singles have actually turned out to be the worst songs on the album. (One Little Victory, Test For Echo, Stick It Out). Although with 'Test For Echo' you could probably argue 'Carve Away The Stone' actually is the worst.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

The Big Wheel happens to be one of my favorite Rush songs.

I like the Far Cry single and the whole sound they got going on. Though not every song is a winner, the best ones are even better than their "classic" era material. It's guitar-heavy but melodic, and sounds like a nice cohesive blend of everything they've done up until now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks