What's new

Rush Concerts on DVD coming in 2002 (1 Viewer)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I'm cranking R30 on the HT system while the girlfriend is away. Pretty much the only time I can play this as loud as I want (she is decidedly NOT a Rush fan, and she certainly wouldn't be any more of one at 85 decibels :). Just thought I'd let everyone know that I read on Power Windows that Geddy Lee is thinking of re-releasing, in one video format or another, the songs that they didn't include on the DVD from the R30 tour.
Sounds like the whole show will be on some HD disc soon.
Damn. Yet another reason why Hi-Rez is in my near future.
Goodbye, wallet.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Jan:

Link please?

Here's hoping this doesn't get filed in the same place as that anamorphic re-release of Rush In Rio highlights that was supposed to happen in the spring following the 'first' (read: only) release.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
www.2112.net/powerwindows/News.htm
New Life for Test For Echo Concert DVD and "complete" R30 Release: In the March issue of the Dutch Heavy Metal magazine Aardschok, Geddy Lee states that the long shelved Test For Echo concert film, originally intended for release as the Different Stages DVD, may eventually be released as soon as later this year (the project was shelved in 1999 when it was discovered there were problems with the sound recording). Later in the interview, Lee states that the band made a mistate not releasing the full Frankfurt concert on R30, and that the show may be reissued in the future in its entirety.
"Alex Lifeson has made [the DVD reissues] his personal project. Some of it will be the recordings we just discussed, but we have other things in the vault as well, such as a concert that we recorded on the Test For Echo tour, with which we weren't satisfied at the time, but that's been replaced by its historical value...The lion's share will come out in 2006...Some of the songs were dropped from R30 due to technical reasons but also we didn't want to have too many similarities with Rush In Rio. Why not? Well, I think now that it was a dumb decision of ours. In fact I regret not having put the whole show on those disks. But I promise you, all those songs that were cut will eventually see the light of day, in some shape or form." - Geddy Lee, Aardschok Magazine, March 2006

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Here is some interesting info:

Rush Replay X 3: "Three vintage Rush home videos will make their DVD debut as part of the boxed set Rush Replay X 3, due June 13 via Mercury/UME. The collection will include 1982's Exit ... Stage Left, 1985's Grace Under Pressure and 1991's A Show of Hands, plus a previously unreleased audio CD version of Grace Under Pressure. As previously reported, Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson created new stereo mixes for the releases, which are presented in 5.1 Surround Sound. Tour booklets from the three concerts have also been reprinted for the set..." - Billboard.com Apr. 5, 2006

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sweet! I am all over those. (Perhaps they'll make it out in time for the DDD summer sale -- R30 missed it by a week!) Thanks for the info! :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, Brett.

Odd that tour program reproductions are supposedly going to be included in this set when a coffee table-type book of all of their programs has just been released.

Guess it's finally time to part with my laserdiscs of these three titles.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Paul,

I wouldn't part with the laserdiscs until you have the DVDs in hand (remember that I first started this thread 4 years ago).

As far as the "programs", the original message stated "booklets" which I assumed were the liner notes from the CDs of ESL & ASOH.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks, Brian. Yeah I think that's a typo.

I'd like to think "tour booklets" means concert programs--which would make more sense to accompany these releases--but we'll hopefully see next week.

Since the price is right and these concerts weren't shot HD and are likely going to be presented 4x3, I'm a lot more inclined to go ahead and pick this up than I was R30.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I am pretty sure that I saw mention of the inserts being mini-reproductions of the tour booklets.

I also saw a book of reproductions of *all* Rush tour programs, but don't remember if it's out yet or not. I think I saw it either at Amazon or at the store linked from Rush's website.

Paul, why would you be *more* inclined to pick up a 4:3 release? (R30 has some riotous old music videos in 4:3, actually.)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It's not so much that it's 4x3 as much as it is that none of these concerts were shot high def. Given some of Lamoreaux' comments, R30 may be released on HD DVD or BD. Sony just announced a Rod Stewart and a John Legend title for early BD release.
I can dream, can't I?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I remember last year, R30 came out just a few days after the DDD 20%-off sale ended. However, Rush Replay will be released right in the middle of the current DDD sale. :)

Nathan A

Second Unit
Those planning on picking this up through DDD, consider this from Best Buy's website:

I was just looking at Best Buy online and they said there is a 17

minute bonus cd with EXCLUSIVE versions of Limelight, Tom Sawyer,

Spirit of Radion, and Closer to the Heart. Could these be the R30

missing tracks?
Dunno if 4 songs that I must already have 6+ versions of is really worth it, tho, even at only $2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks