What's new

Rush - Chronicles Video Collection DVD??? (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Kyle:
Maybe it has something to do with Rush putting out the album and touring last year. But I'm sure the label knew about that in advance. said:
I don't understand your comments here. It seems like you're maybe talking about Rush In Rio (the set list of which is available at the Coming Home Studios link I posted in my post #18 above).
Unfortunately the Through the Camera Eye video compilation hasn't been mentioned in all of this. But if you're wanting the program (in other words, the set list) of A Show of Hands, the Grace Under Pressure Tour and Exit . . . Stage Left to differ from the LDs, then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm all for supplements, additional archival footage presented separately on the disc and especially judicious remastering, but I'd prefer these three titles to indeed be ported over from LD to DVD with the song selection and order that I've come to know over the past 15 years or so intact.
I discuss this at length in the latter part of my post #15 above.
Paul

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I don't think ESL and GUP were the entire show, ie songs that were played and filmed weren't included, either because the band weren't happy with them or to keep the video running time at around an hour. If you look at setlists from the prospective tours, the videos cover barely half the songs played in the actual concert.

I do believe that ASOH is the entire concert on LD because it contains Lock and Key. I could be wrong though.

I agree the label shouldn't muck with the old videos, but if they have great footage ( or the entire show ) that they left out for time restraints, wouldn't you want that added back in?

Kyle

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Regardless, Anthem would still have to go to a distributor to get physical product to the stores, and that would most likely be Universal.
I guess it would depend on who owns the video/film masters. If Mercury paid for the filming, then they would have final say of when and how they are released and distributed.

The new Rush In Rio disc appears to have been financed by the band. Atlantic probably doesn't want to spend that kind of money on them, even though we all know it will sell farely well. I assume that's why Rounder is distributing it.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Kyle:
The new Rush In Rio disc appears to have been financed by the band. said:
No, I think Rounder is distribbing simply because it is a Coming Home Studios title, which Coming Home Distribution distributes . . . and CHD has a deal with Rounder. It's strange/distended arrangement: "Coming Home Distribution is distributed through Koch Entertainment in the US (except for Rush, Rush is with Rounder Records in the US [As far as distribution of this non-Atlantic title is concerned only. --Paul]), Sanctuary Records in Europe and Universal in Canada."
Sheesh--remember when we used to just go to the record store and buy the damn thing! LOL.
Paul

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Paul,
I agree that if the songs not included on ESL and GUP weren't up to snuff, then by all means leave them off.
If, however, the band approved of the whole show ( as they must have for ASOH and now Rush in Rio ), and the songs were cut out of the original just because the label didn't think a 90 minute video would sell, I would rather them put out the entire show.
I think we are in agreement.:D
I don't want the label monkeying with the original, but if the songs that were cut are good enough for the band and their management, I would like to see them.
I also can't wait for the new Rush dvd. I just bought the Alison Krauss Live dvd, and Rounder did an excellent job on it.
Oh, I also have the Ah Via Musicom dvd-audio. I bought it to listen to the stereo tracks. I must admit that what Capitol did was a major disappointment and left me scratching my head. :angry:

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Kyle:
Also bear in mind that the way concert films are produced/shot makes the notion of "the whole show" a little problematic: at least in recent times, bands (including Rush) record multiple dates and take the best perf of a song from different dates. Also, especially with Rush, set lists change on different legs of the tour.
Rush recorded scads of dates for ASoH and it is just a coincidence (that Ged and Alex have commented on incredulously in interviews) that so many perfs they ended up liking came from one I think Chicago concert.
Two nights were recorded to create the RIR disc.
I'm not sure that this was what was done back in the ESL day. If they only shot one night's concert, it is possible that "great footage" of songs that were in the setlist but for some reason not on the disc simply does not exist.
Paul

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I thought the video for ASOH was recorded over 2 or 3 nights in Birmingham, England.

I think the Chicago show you are thinking of is from the TFE tour. Most of Different Stages came from the Chicago date. I think they also filmed several TFE shows for a dvd release that never happened.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure I read that they only filmed one show in Brazil. They recorded audio from an earlier show as well as from the show they filmed. I'm not sure why they would do that, except to have a backup in case there were audio problems from the show they filmed, but they wouldn't sync up to the video, so I don't know.

You are correct, the footage of the rest of the set in ESL and GUP may not exist, but I suspect it does. Are they of the quality to be released? Who knows. I'll take ESL and GUP in their original form, but it would be great to get the entire set they were performing on each tour.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Administrator (and Kyle):
D'oh! Look at what work-related haste hath wrought: I just realized that I posted my post #21 above to the wrong thread, thereby beginning an exchange between Kyle DeVoe and I herein that belongs in this thread.
Can we do anything about moving post #s 21 through 28 between Kyle and I in this thread to their proper place at the tail end of the other thread? (It wouldn't disrupt the flow of the other thread given that, as of this typing, there has only been one post since the one from Kyle to which I was replying with my #21 post herein.)
Paul

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Sergio,

I am aware of those dvds. They are not authorized/sanctioned by the band, it's management, or the record label. I assume that Brazil has loop holes for making things like this without permission. I know in Italy, it is legal to press and sell bootleg cds, as long as you "promise" to pay royalties to the copyright owners.

The other issue I have with these is that they were not remastered from the original source. They were mastered from a vhs copy of the concerts, so they look horrible (at least that is what I was told, I don't own either).

Kyle

I got the ESL dvd the other day and can add that it was mastered from the JAPANESE laserdisc, so it has the japanese subs burnt in. Those are only on the band´s comments between songs, though. The picture quality wasn´t great but an improvment over my VHS copy. Ditto for the sound.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
BTW, where'd you get your copy of the Musicom DVD-A?
I lucked out and found it on the shelf *way* after the recall at my local best buy in Wichita Falls, TX. I have seen them online, but most people want a lot for them. It's a shame Capitol won't Let Eric and Richard Mullen redo the surround tracks. The stereo tracks sound great.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Kyle:
Thx for the reply. Looks like you got lucky in finding that at a store that probably failed to return it. That kind of serendipity usually only happens at smaller stores for me.
Erik et al.:
Interesting: If the packaging and language on the covers is any indication (and neither is reliable when it comes to bootlegs/pirated copies of albums/videos), I think the copy of ESL that you refer to is different than what Sergio is referring to in his post #30.
I started a thread to find out more about the Japanese ESL and Chronicles DVDs a while back. The titles I was inquiring about appear to no longer be available at CD Japan, but the image of one of them is still visible in the first post of my thread (please forgive my stealth linkage). The packaging (Jewel box) and labeling (in Japanese) appear to be different than what is/was up at DVDBrazil.com at the time of Sergio's post (that site is down as of this typing).
-p

Nope, it is the brazilian edition. There are optional english and portugese lyrics. During the songs there are no japanese subs, so it works fine.

The dvd also features pages from a magazine (brazilian, "dvd total" or something like that) with articles and discographies in portugese.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Erik:
Re your post #37: Interesting that, in Sweden, you apparently have been able to find this Brazilian "edition" or pressing from the Japanese ESL LD.
But my point in my post #36 was/is that the Nippon Columbia Japanese pressing I referred to and that was the subject of my other thread is different.
In other words, regardless of what you have, I find it interesting that there are at least two (bootlegged) versions of ESL apparently pressed/pirated in different countries from perhaps the same (Japanese) source that are (like "The Big Money") making their way around the world. :)
-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks