Rush 30th Anniversary Tour...

Discussion in 'Music' started by David Tolsky, Aug 2, 2004.

1. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

On July 6th I attended the Rush concert at the Hollywood Bowl. It was about the 5th time I've seen them over their long career, the last time probably was over 18 years ago. Anyhoo, the band managed to play lots of old stuff and I was pleasantly surprised. My cousin who lives in Phoenix said he saw the same tour (I think July 16th?) and it was a different show. He said most of the stuff they played was newer and he was dissappointed in the song selection. If you saw the band in your area, what was your impression? By the way, at this concert I saw more guys playing air guitar than I've ever seen at any concert!

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I'll give you my impressions after I see them tomorrow.

Jason

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I'm seeing them the next two Tuesdays.

I hope they play newer stuff- that's some of their best material.

4. David Tolsky

Ooooh well Mike, I'd debate you on that subject but there isn't enough space on the website [​IMG]

5. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

AFAIK the setlist hasn't changed since the beginning of this tour. Check out this link for info on the setlist. I saw them earlier in the tour in Detroit and Cleveland. I thought both shows were excellent, as always. And the selection of songs was top notch. They played for 3 hours. I think they cramed a lot of stuff into 3 hours. With a 30 year career I don't they will be able to please everyone with any setlist. Someone is always going to be disappointed that something was left out.

As a side note, I noticed while reading the latest news on 2112.net that Vapor Trails is going to be remastered and re-released sometime in September. Does this mean we are going to get a reocrding w/o all of static crap that ruinied this release for me?

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Well, that's their problem. The idea of going to a concert with a shopping list of expectations is silly to me. If you like a band and they perform well (which they are according to everybody), what's the problem? Enjoy what you get.

7. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

I couldn't have said it better myself. Basically they put on a hell of a show, just go and enjoy it. And if you decide you don't want to go, just let me know and I'll take your tickets off your hands for you [​IMG]

8. Steve Elias

Steve Elias Stunt Coordinator

I saw the Irvine Meadows show and it was the usual (good)Rush concert, with the exception of Jack Black's on-stage antics which added a nice moment of spontaneity. Black's antics also inspired Alex's LaVilla Strangiato rant and got a chuckle out of Neil. Anyway, the highlight for me is, was, and always will be, those songs (mostly older ones)that gain strength from the live setting and best demonstrate the power of a live concert. [La Villa Strangiato, 2112 Overture/Syrinx, and the like].

The old photos in the background during a couple of the songs are a nice touch. Unlike a reviewer on another site, I experienced no problems with the sound quality, but then again I had good seats [​IMG]

-Steve

9. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    David et al.:

My air guitar and I were there at the Hollywood Bowl.

[​IMG]

-p

10. David Tolsky

Yeah, unbelievable. I took my air guitar along as well. The beauty of a 30 year career is that we know when all the great guitar riffs come up [​IMG] I will say that I'm not crazy about medleys (I feel the rants coming), especially when I'd rather hear the old tunes in their entirety. I went nuts when they played By-Tor and the Snow Dog [​IMG] but I was surprised not to hear Fly By Night or Closer to the Heart.

11. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I saw both the Hollywood Bowl show (my comments are in another thread) and also the Irvine Meadows show. Seen almost every tour since '84, and this one was my favorite. My favorite band ever. That they aren't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a travesty.

12. Jamie Goff

Jamie Goff Agent

I'm going to see them Aug.12th. Can't wait![​IMG]

13. Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I will be there August 12th too! I can't wait. They sounded incredible on the Vapor Trails tour.

MikeP

14. Gwon Chang

Gwon Chang Stunt Coordinator

I was there July 2nd and it was great. The sound at the venue was excellent and I had unobstructed view seats (1st time evar!). Like someone else said earlier, I'm pretty sure they aren't switching the setlist at all.

I have pix of the July 2nd show here. Check them out. There may be some spoilers there so watch out!

Also, if you have a chance at the show or otherwise, pick up Neil's new book Traveling Music. I'm reading it now and it offers a lot of neat little Rush anecdotes along the way. A great "insider's" look at our favorite band.

15. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Is this out yet? I thought it was a Sep/04 release.

16. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Brent Bridgeman
    Saw them in Atlanta on Sunday, and personally, I saw more air DRUMMERS than air guitarists, and I include myself in the list of atmospheric skin beaters. I loved the old pictures of the band during the songs, some of them pretty dang hilarious (hair and clothes). Thought the sound was really good, and I liked the song selection for the most part. Didn't know a few of the newer ones, but they were still enjoyable, or at least they allowed me to go to the bathroom and the beer stand.[​IMG]

17. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

Brian,

They are selling the paperback edition at the concerts.

18. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Great show last night. The guys were it top form. The video presentation was very good.

Jason

19. Gwon Chang

Gwon Chang Stunt Coordinator

And at Barnes & Noble.

20. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Excellent! I'll have to pick up a copy.