What's new

Runtime for The General (1927)? (1 Viewer)

TomND

Auditioning
I recently rented a VHS edition (I'm sorry!) of Buster Keaton's The General from my university library. I've never seen the film before and am really looking forward to it. However, this edition says that the film's runtime is 106 min, whereas imdb.com and the DVD version are listed as only 75 min. I was just wondering which is the offical correct version? Longer versions of movie's are always nice, but seeing as how this will be my first time viewing this classic, I'd prefer to see the right version.
Have any of you heard of this 106 min version, and if you have, what's the difference over the 75 min version? Does this contain more scenes? Could it be that the 75 min one runs at 24 fps and this one runs less than that, making it longer?
I have quicly scanned through the film and it does indeed run for 106 min; the box is not mis-printed.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I have it on LaserDisc (and soon again (sigh) on DVD). It runs 75 mins on the LD. I'm pretty sure the 75 min one runs at 18 fps. That would be correct for silent films of that time. Not sure what the VHS runs at.
-greg

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I also saw the 75 minute version, so this is probably the correct or most popular one.
~T

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
You probably have the VHS version with two of Keaton's short films (COPS and THE PLAYHOUSE, IIRC) immediately following THE GENERAL. All together, the three movies probably total 106 minutes.
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks