Running wires....cost of electrician?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AlanZ, Oct 27, 2002.

1. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I know it's impossible to give an accurate estimate without knowing more about a floor plan, but does anyone have a ballpark figure of what it would cost to have (surround) speaker wires run across the 20x20 great room (vaulted ceilings) of a ranch style house?

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Crawl space or attic? plaster or drywall. do you have phone outlets to help pull the wires through?
    2 'easy ways' you might uundertake or a handyman if you wish. Take of the baseboards and carefully run the wire behind the boards....watch out when nailing the boards back. The other would be to drill 2 holes out to the exterior. get outdoor speaker wires from home depot and run the wire on the exterior.
    Flat paintable speaker wire is another easy choice.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I just ran all of my audio and video wires. The problem is the builder will not allow me to run any high voltage cabling. I need a 120V outlet in the ceiling so I think I may install the box/outlet up there along with the cabling and just coil it up and let them connect it. Wonder what that will cost me?

4. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Price is determined by time necessary to complete the project. If you have any attic that makes it much easier..if not, well then additional man hour are needed. I've found many installers will want to use two men to run wires. I would suggest that you volunteer to be the "helper" and save yourself $50 per hour (which would be the hourly fee in Kansas City per person used on the job). I'd go the handyman route depending on the ease of install...if it's complicated go the electrian route or audio/video installer (check with a local retailer for suggestions of installers).

Good Luck
    Ron

PS: It would be a lucky guess for someone to tell you how much it would cost. The best idea is to get estimates and bring those back with an explaination of your set up and repost. You should be able to get feedback on quote.

5. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Thanks for all the feedback.....as it turns out, the agent for the builders was supposed to let me know before they installed the carpet so that I could run the wires underneath. That way it would have been a short run up through the wall, thus saving me the hassle of having to run it from one end of the room to the other. There is no attic, only a crawl space. Luckily, however, the agent felt bad that he forgot to call me before the carpet installation, so he asked me to put onto paper what I want and he's going to (hopefully) have it run for me prior to closing. Thanks again for all the help.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Alan: stop!

You want to run at least 3 runs of 12 ga speaker wire to the rear. That rear-center speaker is becoming popular.

You should also check with your insurance carrier to see if ordinary speaker wire can be run without violating your fire insurance. (the insurance companies have been rumored to not pay if your house burns down and they discover ordinary wire in the walls). There is a special "plenum" covered wire that can be used in case your insurance company is picky. The covering is fire-resistant and wont act like a fuse.

You might also find the corner of the room with the 2 longest, un-broken walls. This is where you will want to put an external subwoofer. Run some ordinary RG6 CATV coax to this corner from behind your equipment.

Good Luck.

7. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Bob, thanks, I hadn't even though of how running the wire may affect the fire coverage. All the more reason to look into a licensed electrician to do the job. We have not established the home owner's coverage yet, but will certainly check with them before having any work done.
    As for the number of runs, I actually was planning on running 4 100' wires - 2 to each side of the rear listening area. That way I'm covered for up to a 7.1 application.
    By the way, I'm going to start this in another thread, too, but does anyone have any feedback on the maximum height you would place direct radiating surrounds? I may 'have to' put them as high as 8', and I don't know if I'd be able to angle them downward. The ceiling is vaulted, and they would be no more than 2/3 the height of the room, but this may still be too high. Unfortunately I won't be able to test it out before I have the wires run. Any feedback?? Thanks [​IMG]