What's new

Running Wires along the walls (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I'm remodeling my basement room for HT, and I'm a newb at this. I'd thinking about running the wires through the framing before sheetrocking the walls, but then I thought "What if I want to upgrade wires later, or change where things are?" So, is there a good way of doing this so that you can feed and unfeed wires through the walls later?

I thought maybe of running them on the outside of the walls, and then having a cover or something that covers them up - is there something like that? My wife suggested running them inside the molding, but I told her that wouldn't be thick enough. Plus, I'd like to be able to access it later.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You didn’t mention the kind of wires, but if you’re talking abut speaker wire for the rear speakers, just run CL3-rated 12ga. and you’ll never have to upgrade. If you think you one day might do a 6.1 or 7.1 system, you can run the wires and have them in place for later use.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
Buy lots of conduit from Home Depot and run that to anywhere you might need a wire (all speakers, and the ceiling for a future FP). And make sure to add a pull wire in it.

Do a search here for pre-wiring and conduit and terms like that for a LOT of information...

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I've been looking into it some, and it's coming time to do it. I still don't know where's a good place to order some good wire from, though.

I'm thinking of doing the conduits all in-wall, but is there such a thing as good-looking conduits that run outside the wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks