What's new

Running two rear surrounds off one channel. (1 Viewer)

Craig Ball

Second Unit
I now have the Yamaha DSP-A1 and two Acurus 200x3 amps, I'm looking to sell the A-1 and buy the Outlaw 950 as it can do 7.1. I was wondering since the rear channels are mono, i believe can i run the two rear surrounds off of one channel of the Acurus amp? If this is possible how is it done.
Thanks
Craig

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
It depends on the ohms of the speaker and the capability of the amplifier.
1) Running Parallel: If the surround speakers are each 8 ohms and the amplifier can handle 4 ohms, then you should be ok. You would run 2 separate sets of wires individually from the same amp channel connection to each surround speaker on that same channel. Thats called running in parallel. Running two 8 ohm speakers in parallel results in half the resistance. If each speaker is 4 or 6 ohms, I don't think it would work to run in parallel in the long term, unless the amp is fit to handle 2 to 3 ohm loads continuously. Even then, its kinda stressful on even the best amp to run sub 4 ohm loads.
2) Running series: You could run the speakers in series, but if they are 6 or 8 ohms, you'd end up with 12 or 16 ohms resistance. That won't hurt the amp, but the impedance would result in very low sound levels. Power would be wasted. If the speakers are each rated 4 ohms, then run them in series. Run the speaker wires from the amp to the first speaker, and then run the wires from the speaker to the second surround speaker.
So in short, if your amp handles 4 ohm loads you have two choices:
1) If your surround speakers are 8 ohms, run 2 in parallel
2) if your surround speakers are 4 ohms, run them in series
(If your amp handles 4 ohm loads, anything above 4 ohms is LESS stressful on the amp. The less the resistance (smaller ohm numbers (ie 2,3 and 4 ohms), the more current the amp must deliver and the harder, or more stressful that is. Higher ohms means lower current (ie 6 and 8 ohms etc))
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 11, 2001 at 09:53 AM]

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
I've done this with two Polk R10's and the parallel impedance was a "dangerous" 2.1 ohms!!! The speakers are rated as standard 8 ohms. Just goes to show what's theory is not actual. I haven't had any problems running them with my Denon AVR-1802.

Craig Ball

Second Unit
We'll the amp can handle 4 ohms so wireing in parralell should be my best option. Is that done by running from the + and - on the amp to the first speaker, and then from the + and - on the first speak to the + and - an the second?
Craig

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, I would pay serious attention to what the previous poster said. Parallel is running 2 sets of wires from the amp outputs to each fo the speakers separate.
What you suggest, running the wire from the amp to the first speaker, and then from the first speaker to the second speaker is called series.
Since its only the surround channels, I would suggest trying series first. Perhaps it will work ok.

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Thanks Chris PC, I had series and paralell backwards in my head.
Craig
------------------
Klipsch KLF30 Mains
Klipsch KLF-C7 Center
Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds
Dual SVS 20-39CS Sub's
Samaon S700 Sub Amp
ART 351 Eq.
Yamaha DSP-A1
(2)Acurs 200x3
Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc
Yamaha TX-492 Tuner
Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player
Sony S565D DVD
Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR
Hitachi 29" T.V.
Denon DP-37F Turntable

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks