Running time for "The Tall Guy"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChristopherM, Apr 9, 2002.

1. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if anyone can help clear up some confusion?

According to Halliwells, the running time for "The Tall Guy" is 92 mins.

Websites selling the US (Miramax) DVD list the running time as 92 mins, but the Miramax sleeve states 85 minutes.

Websites selling the Canadian (Alliance) version also list the running time as 92 mins, but the Alliance sleeve again states 85 minutes.

However, Amazon users are saying that the US version is longer than the Canadian version.

Does anybody have either the Miramax or Alliance version? If so, can they please confirm the actual running time (as opposed to that stated on the sleeve).

Many thanks.

2. ChristopherM

Postscript:

Having re-read the Amazon reviews it now looks to me like both editions may feature the truncated 85 minute version.

The Canadian stating that the US version is longer was still waiting for his copy to arrive, while a US resident was complaining that his (presumably US-originated) DVD was missing scenes in his UK VHS version.

Still, I'd appreciate any confirmation of either running time.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The Miramax version has a total running time of 85 minutes, 21 seconds.

M.

4. ChristopherM

Many thanks, Michael. It looks like both the Canadian and US versions have been cut.

Sadly, there's no sign of a UK edition yet either.

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Nooo, they cut it? Bang goes my purchase of that then! Imdb doesn't list cut footage but it does say the US home video version featured dubbed dialogue to fix British slang. No idea if the DVD suffers this too.

Dan

6. Andrew Walsh

Andrew Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Cut? What the hell did they cut? Seven minutes is a hell of a lot of footage.

7. Chuck Esola

Chuck Esola Extra

I own this disc and it certainly seems uncut to me. I've seen this film several times and I didn't notice anything missing on the DVD.

8. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    Dan, the US DVD is definitely the re-dubbed version.

Where the original soundtrack, for instance, has Rowan Atkinson saying "What in the name of arse is going on here?" when he's being tied up, the US dub has him say "What in the name of Judas Iscariot's bun-boy is going on?" Not as funny, IMHO.

Also, I can't for the life of me find Angus Deayton's supposed cameo as another out-of-work actor in the agent's office: I wonder if that's one of the things that's been cut.

Very disappointing.

doug

9. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

Halliwell's would reference the 92 minute cut because that was the film's original British running time. The film was distributed in the U.S. by...

anyone wanna guess? That's right, Miramax.

So basically, it's like this: If you ever saw the film theatrically or on video in the states, you saw the Miramax cut. If you've seen it in the U.K., they you saw the original cut.

Personally speaking, I had no idea for years that the film had been cut. But I must say that it's still a very entertaining film, so the cuts didn't do much damage.

I may want to invest in a PAL disc once it comes out, though.

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Doug,
    [​IMG] Thanks for that tip off.... Damn it, I was REALLY happy this hit DVD, now the release turns out to be an utter mess. I loved the "what in the name of arse!" line, the delivery is genius.
    [​IMG]
    Dan

11. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

I saw the uncut original in Hong Kong years ago. Another missing Atkinson line (to Goldblum, after a performance): "You were like six different kinds of **** out there." But nothing from ELEPHANT! seems to have been excised.