1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Running SVS with 145W

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MartinFG, Apr 30, 2002.

1. MartinFG

MartinFG Auditioning

I am currently running a homebuilt sub (18" noname driver in a 9cuft ported box of 1.5" MDF) driving it with a 145W Kenwood KRX1000 (older THX) with pretty good results, but the low end is quite loose, and very peaky at 50Hz. Would this amp drive an SVS CS+ sufficiant for my 20x20 room? I usually run at -20db during movies (Main rcvr is a Yam RX-V1) Thx!

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

145w would work with the CS+, but I'm not sure it would give you the improvements you are looking for. I would work on smoothing the FR(frequency response) of the bass first. Having a squarish room like this can lead to some nasty effects [​IMG]
    Do you have a good idea of the response at your key seats right now?
    TV

3. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

Martin,

Is that your estimate on 4ohm output? Seems reasonable.

I'm thinking of driving a CS (or CS+!) with one of those too.

Are you plugged directly into the Main-in? or are you running thru the Kenwood's pre-amp section too?

I did a calibration last night with my new HK 520. I had to turn down the volume on my ACI Quake pretty low like 1/8, and I'm still 3-4dB hot. I'm almost to -10dB on the channel setting in the receiver too. HK must put out a pretty hot signal. at least compared to my former Denon Decoder, where I had the sub at 1/2.