Running SVS with 145W

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MartinFG, Apr 30, 2002.

1. MartinFG

MartinFG Auditioning

I am currently running a homebuilt sub (18" noname driver in a 9cuft ported box of 1.5" MDF) driving it with a 145W Kenwood KRX1000 (older THX) with pretty good results, but the low end is quite loose, and very peaky at 50Hz. Would this amp drive an SVS CS+ sufficiant for my 20x20 room? I usually run at -20db during movies (Main rcvr is a Yam RX-V1) Thx!

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

145w would work with the CS+, but I'm not sure it would give you the improvements you are looking for. I would work on smoothing the FR(frequency response) of the bass first. Having a squarish room like this can lead to some nasty effects [​IMG]
    Do you have a good idea of the response at your key seats right now?
    TV

3. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

Martin,

Is that your estimate on 4ohm output? Seems reasonable.

I'm thinking of driving a CS (or CS+!) with one of those too.

Are you plugged directly into the Main-in? or are you running thru the Kenwood's pre-amp section too?

I did a calibration last night with my new HK 520. I had to turn down the volume on my ACI Quake pretty low like 1/8, and I'm still 3-4dB hot. I'm almost to -10dB on the channel setting in the receiver too. HK must put out a pretty hot signal. at least compared to my former Denon Decoder, where I had the sub at 1/2.