What's new

Running SVGA cable through walls? (1 Viewer)

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Is most SVGA cable rated for safe use in walls? (i.e. CL2/CL3/etc)

I'd like to run an SVGA cable from my HTPC to the projector near the room of the theater. This would require running the cable up one wall, through a drop/suspended ceiling, and then dropping it back through the ceiling near the projector. Is it okay/legal to use any SVGA cable for this?

Glenise

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard any negatives about this.
I have my svideo cable running this way.

Luke_Y

Second Unit
I am curious to know if most vga cables are in wall rated as well. I am about to do the same thing.

KenA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Appell
This is considered low voltage wiring, which rarely has any restrictions. Can't hurt to contact your insurance company though.

PierreAC

Auditioning
The only thing you really have to worry about is a fluorescent light fixture. Do what you can to route around them as much as possible, but otherwise you should have no problems.

JohnWyn

Auditioning
As stated above, most low voltage wiring does not require anything special as long as it will not be used in a "plenum" airspace (IE: Above a drop ceiling or in some other air space.) If it is going to be used in a plenum space then plenum rated cable (about double the cost) is a good idea. The plenum rated cable is supposed to smolder instead of burn, and thus doesn't help a fire spread. As always, check local code and insurance company regs to be sure.

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
The area above a drop ceiling is only considered to be 'plenum' air space if it's used as the cold air return, right? I don't believe that's the case in my home. There are wood studs and joists as well as insulation above most of the drop ceiling area, and that seems to rule out the ceiling's use as a plenum. This is a very good thing, as it should allow for less expensive cabling!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks