What's new

running speaker wires- your opinion (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I keep going back and forth on this, in my new house I'll have to run wires to my speakers, I can either cut the wall, put in old work boxes and terminal plates, and run the wires up the wall, through the top plate, through the attic, and back down, or I can get a fish tape and try to fish them under the carpet. Option B is much cheaper, and easier considering I'm 6'3 and not very graceful... not a good combo for trying to walk around on the trusses in the attic

So I'm leaning towards B at the moment, I'm sure a bunch have been there before, maybe you could offer some insight.

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
How long do you plan to use the wiring? If long term, I'd take the extra effort and run the wires through the wall. I've found that I'm much happier with speaker wires that are completely out of sight. When I've run wires under carpet or taken similar short cuts, I always see them (even if no one else can) and it bugs me.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Probably as long as I live there. The rear will be on a stand so it can run up the stand, I don't know if you can see or feel the wire under the carpet or padding or not.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I had a 12-gauge cable speaker cable across an doorway in my old place and it wasn’t noticeable unless I didn’t have shoes on, and even then, barely. You could use flat speaker wire and I imagine you’d never know it was there.

The main thing you have to worry about is snagging the pad and getting it all bunched up under the carpet. If that happens you probably have no option but to pull it up and re-lay.

Here are a few of old posts of mine with tips on pulling wire under carpet. Maybe they’ll be helpful.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...81#post1734381
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...56#post2448356
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...70#post2606370

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
think I'll give it a shot. Too much other stuff to worry about right away to mess around in the attic.
thanks for the links.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I would go through the attic. Maybe Wayne's tips will help, but I've never had any luck trying to run wires under the carpet. Unless you are talking less than 5 ft, the fish tape always gets hung up, or starts heading the wrong direction for me.

-Dave

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

I've changed my mind about 4 times since last night, but I think you're right. I want to run under the pad because it's easy, but something tells me I won't be happy with it. So I guess attic it is, it's the right way to begin with.

Kevin R

Auditioning
I would really consider wire tracks - If I had the extra $ in my budget that is what I would have done (may still later)

Great long term solution, especially if you ever upgrade speaker wire. Or change location of your sub, or anything else.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Jack Ferry, since you are going to be there a while go the attic route, you will be glad later that you took the extra time

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks