What's new

Running speaker wires through drop ceiling (1 Viewer)

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Hi, all!

I'm getting ready to wire up a room at work for surround sound, and my best option for running the wiring to the surrounds is to go up into the drop ceiling, through that space across the room (~ 30 feet), then back down. The ceiling has fluorescent lights which will normally be turned off when the surround sound system is in use. Budget is forcing me to keep the wire at about 16 gauge, I might be able to squeeze out enough pennies to go up to 14.

What issues do I need to worry about with this plan?

Greg Gable

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
Make certain you are using CL rated wire and stay away from any power lines. If you have to cross one do it at 90 degrees.

You can get a 500ft spool of CL-3, 14 GAUGE wire for 85 bucks at home depot.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Thanks, guys. It had been so long since I'd shopped for in-wall wire, I had forgotten about the CL rating business. I think I'm only going to need about 200 ft. total, so hopefully I can get off a little cheaper than the $85 spool. After buying the receiver and speakers, I've only got $100 left in my budget, and there are the odd banana plug and the like that still need to be purchased.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If the above-ceiling space functions as an air return, your speaker wire needs to be plenum-rated. You don’t really have to worry about power lines in commercial buildings, as it is all either BX or in conduit.

Regards,
Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks