1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Running speaker wire under laminated flooring?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shana, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

I am having laminated flooring (pergo) installed throughout my house. Is there a way to run speaker wire under the flooring?

Thanks!
    Shana

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

You could have them router a groove on the bottom side of the laminate, but that would make lining everything up all the more difficult. If it is free floating (which I think the pergo product is), your best method would probably be along the wall in the gap between the flooring and the baseboard rather than under the floor itself. The router method could be used across doorways perhaps.

Depends also on the gauge of wire you are running. If your flooring is 1/4 inch thick you are quite limited making any grooves underneath it.

3. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

I haven't purchased the speaker wire yet. So I could run it under the base board? I'm guessing flat wire would be best?

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

no basement that you could run the wire into and then across or up? flat wire would work too and there's a variety of sources for it.

5. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

No basement, but I do have an attic. I know NOTHING about wiring a house. Which is why I figured it would be easiest to set-up before the flooring goes in.

DirecTV will be installing a new dish for a new receiver for that room. That will be after the flooring is installed but maybe they can show me what I can do.

6. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

In the latest Sound & Vision, they have an add for "flat" wire. You can mount it on the wall and paint over it.

1$ - 5$ a foot.

Here...

www.decorp.com

have fun [​IMG]

7. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I am also laying down some laminate flooring and have researched DeCorp flat to lay underneath. It is about the width and thickness of a business card. This should not effect the floorboards at all or cause you to alter them prior to installing.

Two downsides:
    1) expensive
    2) have to leave a lot of extra wire if you ever plan on changing the configuration for your rears or adding more speakers

Also, as stated above, you can run it up the walls on either side and it completely paintable. They have some nice and reasonably priced install accessories for gluing and angling the wires.

The flattest I have found thus far. Also from S&V.

8. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Laminate flooring is usually installed at least 1/4" away from all walls and barriers. Quarter-round is normally then installed to hide this gap, nailing it to the walls rather than the floor. (Laminate flooring expands and contracts with humidity and must "float".) That 1/4" gap will usually allow you enough room to lay the wire. Just do it prior to the quarter-round being installed. Check with your installer to be sure.

9. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the info! I was thinking, I know an electrician. Couldn't he just drill a hole behind the entertainment center and run the wire through the attic and then drill holes in the living room?

I don't think I will have enough time to get the speaker wire, especially since I don't know where to get it and which kind yet, and have the floor installer put it in, and I know he doesn't do that kind of thing normally.

10. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Yes, you could run the wires in the wall, but be aware your local electrical code may require 'in wall' speaker wire. Ask your electrican if you want to go that route.