Running Speaker wire next to power.. ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Main, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

For 8 feet out of 30, I may have to run my rear speaker wire right next to a power wire. The speaker wire is Monster XPHP in wall rated stuff. I cant get behind the wall and its right above a baseboard heating element. So it would be the baseboard heat, on top of this is the line circuit in a metal track housing, then the speaker and maybe satellite feed as well.
    Also how does heat affect Speaker cable and its signal? I could run the speaker cable under the baseboard instead.
    Thanks in advance
    [​IMG]
    Mike
    [​IMG]

2. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

If you use high temp automotive speaker wire from partsexpress(19cents a foot for 8awg)/or go to homedepot and get a roll or two of 12 awg stranded house wire, you will be maybe be ok. Its not a good idea to do that, but HEY, sometimes you got to do what you got to do. When I pulled wires through my walls, there was no way of knowing where the electrical wires were or avoiding electrical wires. Sometimes house wiring goes vertical and horizontal in the same cavity.

Wire molding is a more expensive way to solve your problem. And if you have carpet, you can get flat speaker wire.

If the wires are separated by any kind of divider in the tray, it will meet the NEC.

3. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Just got a parts catalog from datacomm====wharehouse.com.

They have some very nice trays for electrical wires.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Also, 3M makes copper shielding tape of various widths you can get at distributors like Allied or Newark to wrap the speaker wire.