Running Speaker Wire in Rental Home

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Taylor, May 30, 2002.

1. Eric Taylor

Eric Taylor Agent

Hello, as my post name says I rent my house and was wondering if anyone that did the same had any recommendations on what I could do to help hide my speaker wire. I have the Speakers mounted on the walls around my living room and the wire hangs down and makes it look a real mess. So any suggestions on what I could do would be a great help. Thanks.

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Eric,
    Have you considered using Panduit. It is a plastic conduit that snaps closed to retain the wires. I've seen it at both Lowe's and Home Depot. You can also find it most eletrical supply houses.

3. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

How long are you staying? [​IMG]
    You could just pop a small hole in the wall next to the speaker and another one near the baseboard. Sure, it does put a hole in the wall but it isn't that difficult to fill them in before you move out. Of course, I'm assuming that your place has the typical sheetrock walls.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i like michael's idea, but if you have relatively new construction, you've probably got fire-breaks in between the studs. that'll complicate things considerably. plus fishing the wire is a hassle - since this is a rental i'm not sure how much effort you want to put into this.

go with frank's idea - my friend did a similar thing and ran the wire up the corner. it was pretty clean - almost unnoticeable unless you look for it.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Monster XP in paintable Navajo white. Paint it to match the wall, and you are all done. Simpler and less expensive than the wire track.

Panduit makes about a dozen different cable tracks, so you have to look around for the right one, their primary market is not consumer but capital and industrial equipment. 3m also makes a paintable one for the home, that is small, can be easily cut and connected cleanly with intersection connectors, etc...and can readily be found at any hardware/home store.

6. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

"Panduit" may well be what y'all call this stuff where y'all are, but I've heard it called "Wiremold" all my life. [​IMG]
    Whatever the brand name you find, Eric, I strongly recommend the type that you attach to the wall with screws rather than double-stick tape. Come move-out time, it'll be a lot easier to spackle in those screw holes than it will be to sand off that adhesive residue. This is the voice of experience.

7. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I took a flat screw driver and stuffed the surround sound wire under the wooden trim on the wall