What's new

Running power cable to AV closet (1 Viewer)

AVsnow

Auditioning
Real Name
Devrin
OK- My new house will have an AV closet directly behind the wall where my LCD will be on. I plan on building a small pass through window (4"x4") to run the power and AV cables to the closet. I plan on framing it with 1x4's, patching the dry wall and painting (Think of a large pass through window that you would build between a kitchen and a dinning room.... only inches instead of feet}.
My question is, will this be up to code. I'm assuming it will be, as I will not be passing cables or power through the cavity of the wall, but I'm not 100% sure.
Thanks for any help.

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
As long as you are not changing the original structure you should be ok. So as long as you are not cutting or removing wall studs or parts of them, it should be fine. Of coarse I wouldn't make such a large opening. I would just get a 3 or 4 inch diameter hole saw bit for a drill and make a hole right in both sides of the wall. Of coarse making sure there are no electrical wires or plumbing in there first. Then Get a 4 inch section of 3 or 4inch diameter pvc pipe (depending on hole size) and bridge the connection between the walls. Glue the pvc pipe in place and it would be good to go. But I guess it depends on how many cables you are running.

AVsnow

Auditioning
Real Name
Devrin
Cool! That was actually my next question. So running PVC pipe between the wall will be up to code? Even with the TV power cable going through it? That is definitely a better option for me.
Thank you!

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
yeah, I think it would be code. Especially since the pvc creates a completely sealed channel for the wires to go through. It keeps it isolated from wall cavity and insulation if it has any. But since it is interior wall it probably won't have insulation. Power cables shouldn't be an issue either since they are already protected by their own sheathing. As long as they are not frayed or any bare wires exposed you should be fine. Glad to have helped you out, hope it goes well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks