running multi channel DVD-A & SACD?????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodneyH, Dec 27, 2001.

1. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

alright, is there any news out yet about someone who actually makes a unit that will allow someone to run both formats in multichannel mode (2 sets of analog 5.1 inputs to 1 set as an output, with a simple switch)?? I know that Sony has teh 9000 unit, but it it doesn't sound like the best solution.

Perhaps we will see something out of CES in January, so maybe we wil need to wait until then, but it seems to me like this would be an EASY component to put together (much less complicated than a cheap receiver that people are paying $100-$300 for, and I would easily pay up to $300 for a nice looking unit with a remote to switch back and forth.

ANYONE???

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

This probably won't help you but the Denon 5800 has two 7.1 channel inputs.

Patrick

3. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

If you want a cheap solution, go to Radio Shack. I have two A/B switches; each has two right, left, and composite video inputs and one right, left, and composite video output. I know it’s not the best way to do it, but it only cost about $30 for the switches. It may cost more if you needed more interconnects. I found that the sound quality to be just about the same. To hear a difference you would have to be beyond picky about things, which some of us are. In my opinion, you can’t go wrong for the price until someone releases a less expensive and better solution to the problem.

Jeff

4. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Jeff, do you know the part #, I have heard of this method, but have yet to figure out what product it is. Thanx

5. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

The part # is 15-1952. It's on the Radio Shack website. They are small so they can be placed just about anywhere.
    Jeff

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rodney, I too am using two of the Radio Shack 15-1952 switch boxes for multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio, and they are great for only $30. I do not detect and any sound degradation with these switch boxes. Give them a shot before you consider far more expensive upgrade options.

Prior to getting the switch boxes, I considered purchasing the Sony TA-P9000ES multi-channel analog pre-amp, which is designed to be connected to a multi-channel digital pre-amp. The problem is that I have a Sony STR-V444ES receiver and was not sure if I could connect the 'P9000ES to the 'V444ES through the receiver's 5.1-channel inputs. Jim Oade of Oade Bros. said I could, but many people here expressed doubts about this. In the end, the switch box solution was much cheaper anyway.

The only other suggestion I have for you besides switch boxes and the 'P9000ES is a new receiver. Aside from the Denon AVR-5800 that Patrick mentioned, the Sony STR-DB1070, 'DA3ES, and 'DA5ES each have one set of 5.1-channel inputs and one set of 7.1-channel inputs.

7. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

looks like a very good option (until we see what happens at CES), if nothing happens in the long run, I could switch out the parts/cable and re-build it with better stuff, or even just buy a metal empty box with a nice black aluminum front and copy the schematics an make a "better" looking one with better parts (gold connectors and better cable).

I guess for the short turm I might just buy the RS unit (although I don't have any SACD MULTI channel discs yet, so perhaps I can wait 1 more month)

The sony unit looks great, but I have heard that the problem with it is that 1 set of 5.1 inputs is digital and the other is analog, and wont work, is that true. My parasound pre/pro has 1 analog 5.1 INPUT (not digital). will it still work?? (and gettting a reciever really isn't an option for me)

thanks for all your help