Running Man question

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Shawn_KE, May 19, 2005.

1. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

What happens to Ventura's character?

In the movie, Captain Freedom is shown killing Richards in the spiked arena.

But in the control room, they show they just pasted faces on other peoples bodies. One of the chicks says "you didn't have to kill him" and Dawson says something about showbiz or something.

Now the person they show dead is not Ventura, but is that supposed to be his Freedom character? Cause he is not seen the rest of the movie.

2. Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey Screenwriter

Chuck Anstey
    I assume they meant they didn't have to kill the "stunt doubles" that played Richards and the girl (dang, I forgot the name), that they overlaid the faces onto. I assume that Captain Freedom actually played himself in the rigged fight and I don't remember him dying at the end.

Chuck Anstey

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Congrats Shawn, you are now officially the person who has put the most thought into any aspect of the Running Man.

[​IMG]

4. Eric Howell

Eric Howell Stunt Coordinator

Hey! The Running Man is the best. [​IMG]

I don’t think they “filmed” a fight with stunt doubles and then overlaid the contestant’s faces on top of the doubles. My view of what happened is that Captain Freedom walked off the set (aka quit), and they digitally animated a fake fight for the last zone (no humans involved). Brenda’s comment about not having to kill him was because she viewed Richards as a rating draw that would be of better use to them “alive”(at least alive as far as the audience was concerned). Left unanswered of course is if Captain Freedom was actually allowed to “quit”, as they might not want some ex-employee armed with that kind of information about the legitimacy of their station’s broadcasts. I guess we will all have to wait for the Running Man 2 for the answer to that question.

I guess Brenda could be saying “you didn’t have to kill him” in reference to some off screen action by the network of killing Captain Freedom because he refused to follow orders, however that was not my interpretation.

Oh and, Shawn, the quote is: “It’s all part of life’s rich pattern Brenda, and you better fucking get used to it.” (I love that line)

5. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Perhaps. However, someone definitely died in that fight. The fancy software only overlaid the image of Richard's face / body over one of the fighters.

A case could be made that Captain Freedom was allowed to fight w/o all the stupid accessories (cut scene). After all, that was his main gripe (not that he was going to go kill someone). He then fought 2 stunt doubles who he ended up killing. The SW overlay showed it to be Richards & Amber on the TV broadcast.

6. Eric Howell

Lemme preface all this with the admission that I don’t know about any cut scenes or anything like that(I have the bare bones DVD), so this is my view based on the feature film.

Greg, I realize that Captain Freedom’s objections weren’t to killing, but rather to how dishonorable it would be to use gadgets in order to win. I have a feeling he would have similar honor related problems to the idea of rushing to a set in order to record a fight scene in order to fool the audience into thinking it was part of the show.

edit: I assumed that they just dug up some archived footage of a Captain Freedom fight and superimposed the contestants images onto the previous contestants.

7. Brian Sheffield

Brian Sheffield Stunt Coordinator

Brian
    It's been a while and I could be wrong, but I always thought it was Captain freedom killed in that fight.

They mapped Arnie's face onto him and used another face map to put Freedom's face on the killer.

8. andrew markworthy

I agree with Brian - it's Captain Freedom who gets killed:

1. Cpt F really is washed up, and this is the final proof
    2. The body double had to be someone with the same musculature as Arnie
    3. The remark about 'you didn't have to kill him' is unlikely to be said by those very unpleasant assistants about a nobody killed for the purposes of boosting ratings (after all, they oversaw murder every week). A reaction like that would only apply to someone who was a colleague. Even then, the tone isn't one of sorrow, but rather resentment that it was an intellectually weak decision (and also presumably meant extra work for the assistants in finding a replacement for Cpt F).

I find it fascinating how people dismiss The Running Man presumably on the argument that because it's an Arnie film, it must be lightweight (at the same time, films like The Matrix, which is nothing more than pretentious eye candy, get praised to the hilt). In fact, it is one of the most prescient sci-fi films ever made. The documentary on the special edition spells out just how many manipulations of the media and increasingly violent game shows are anticipated by this film. It's often said that great empires die not because of aggression but because of hedonism, and The Running Man gives a sober warning of this. If all you see are testosterone-fuelled action sequences, then you've utterly missed the point of the film.

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    [​IMG]
    Nice word play. And I totally agree with what you said.

Cees

10. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Thanks. Me and my friend were trying to figure out if he died or not. I say it is supposed to be Freedom, my friend says it isn't.

As for dissing Running Man, I think it a fun film with some great lines. And it was great they got Dawson in it as the host. The movie also foretold the future, how fixed we would become on reality TV. I'm sure if they made a TV show with this level of violence, it would soar in ratings as well.

11. Eric Howell

Agreed with Andrew about the Running Man dismissal. The HTF has recently closed down a 5,209 posts 242,471 views thread about a sci-fi movie that hadn't even been released, and yet the Running Man has to take shite after two posts? I know joe was just cracking a joke, but it still reflects the view a lot of people take about this movie.

I can't agree with you Andrew / Shawn about what happens after Killian tells the guards to "Get him outta here now."(in reference to Captain Freedom) So to understand, you guys are saying that they take Freedom into the fourth zone and send in two people to attack him, and then after he kills the Amber Mendez double and engages in combat with the Arnie double, the arnie double kills Freedom in reality. They then alter the results of the fight by putting Arnie's face on freedom and then freedom's face on the victorious Arnie double? Am I missing something?

Personally, I like my interpretation in my first post above better, as it makes more sense when Brenda says "you didn't have to kill him".

12. andrew markworthy

Eric, I should have added to my first post that the evidence was ambiguous, but that's my interpretation. Yours could also be valid - I don't think the evidence is conclusive enough. It's just one of those throwaway bits (like the 'horrifying' news that Amber Mendez character has as many as 3 boyfriends in a year or there is forbidden music - clearly there is some hypocritical puritanism at work in the new model society) in a film that's surprisingly rich in detail.

13. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I don't think it was Captain Freedom anyway. I think they were both doubles. Since CF didn't want anything to do with the fight using gimmicks I assumed that he basically figured "F--- this" and split. Since only "Richards" was shown in the final shot and then the face was removed (great logical plothole, that), I say that CF's double left to fight another day...