Running front speakers on there side.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Nick.H, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

Howdy,

Im testing at the moment running my front speakers on there side as this means with my room size I can put my subwoofer in the corner which has totally increased the bass responce.

I will post a pic later this afternoon; however I was wondering if anyone has every tried this before? and what the result was?

Cheers

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It's ok, but certainly not preferred. The horizontal arrangement will definitely befuddle the imaging if you have good speakers.

I went to your site to see what speakers you had, and wow that's a very cool website, and a nice HT too! [​IMG]

If you still have towers as pictured, I can only assume that will make things worse, because they will end up being soooo wide sideways.

I'll bet there are probably other good places to put your sub if you experiment a little bit, I'm looking at this pic, if this is your room, why can't you lay your sub on it's side and put it, say, under one of the mains?

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Just wondering what it is you are trying to acomplish. I have never seen anyone put their floorstanding speakers in a horizontal position. Why would you want to do that?

4. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

howdy,

Picture 2, is how I had it setup. However I found the subwoofer was not pushing out alot of bass. It is a 2x10" subwoofer.

[​IMG]

**Please note this is an old pic with my 68cm tv.

I used to have it in the corner or close to it; now with my new projector screen I cannot do that anymore, so I have only 2 options.

Option 1,
    [​IMG]

I found that the subwoofer was very lacking in power, infact many a time I had to make sure it was turned on becuase it seems to give out nothing.

Option 2,
    [​IMG]

Once in this position the bass was back to normal, fantastic sound.

Let me know what you think.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Here's my thought. You had your towers on stands even when vertically placed towards the corners. Why don't you lay the sub on its side, then put the tower on top of it? Something like that? I can't tell what it sounds like with the towers on their sides in that 3rd picture, but maybe my idea would be a better compromise?

6. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

Chris: thanks for the idea.

As I say I love posting on here becuase with everyones help it betters all our HT rooms.

I will do some testing. Im also waiting on my Dolby & DTS Demo DVD to do some testing.

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I'd think that the front image would be rather constricted with the front three speakers so close together...I can't hear your system obviously, but you should test the front image to make sure it is "involving" enough.

Subwoofer placement is one of those things that you'll just have to experiment with...My sub is at the side of my room because that's where it works best...it's too boomy at the front of the room. Room acoustics at work. Fun fun.

8. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

Drew, thanks for the info.

Ive now placed everything back to normal as showen in picture 2. I will just play around with the sub when I get my Dolby Digital & DTS Demo DVD.

I found the speakers sounded good on the sides, however did not give a full range surround feeling.

Anyway its always good to test these things.

9. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Your speakers were designed as floor standing towers and that's the way they should be placed. Laying them down ruins the imaging quality of the speakers. While a novel idea, the results would be far from ideal.

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

There is no other corner that the sub can be placed in?