What's new

Running Ethernet in the walls (1 Viewer)

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I am building a house, and am running CAT5e to a few locations before the drywall goes up. The runs are about 50 feet, and about 9 feet of each run is parallel to a 120v power cable. Do power cable cables have a very big impact on performance? If so what is the effect?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I'd keep them away from power as much as possible. Can you run the CAT5 in an adjacent wall cavity, or on the opposite stud from the power? As long as they're a few inches apart you should be ok, but I wouldn't have the Cat5 nailed down on the same stud running parallel with the 120V power.

KJP

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
John:
Is 5e compatible with 100base Ethernet?
If not, it might be more prudent to run the 100base Ethernet cables through the walls - probably more expensive, but likely worth the price if you think you'll have the house around for a while. You never know when that extra 10x speed will come in handy.... like maybe when you're bouncing MPEG-2 video back and forth through the house?? :)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Cat 5e will do 100 Mbps Ethernet and then some, no problem there.

I'd keep it at least 12 or better yet 24 inches away from AC lines.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I stopped by the site last night, and the insulation is up! So there will be no cables moving. What's the impact on performance? Am I totally hosed or just looking at a speed degradation?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks