Running DVI through my pc...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MarcoBiscotti, Jun 26, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Okay, I've pretty much got the jist of h.t. techs but when it comes to computers I'm still totally lost....

I'm buying a Plextor PX-716UF external DVD-ROM burnign drive this weekend and want to set my office up for movie watching.

My coputer's an Intel Pentium III (Windows XP) and I've got a Samsung Syncmaster 173P 19" LCD hooked up.

It's got DVI input and I'd like to take advantage of that. I haven't even had a regular DVD-ROM drive on my computer so I've never actually been able to watch DVD's on it before, but I;d like to set it up for the best possible quality I can get out of a pc connection.

I don't really know where to start.

Are there certain codecs and video cards and stuff like that I need or should look into picking up?

How do I run DVI through for HD signal?

Will this involve many cables and wire connections and what else is reccommended for a good movie-watching experience on my pc?

My office doubles as a guest room when friends/family stay over, and because of the available space, I don't really have the room (actually I probably do but I dont want to sacrifice it and cludder MY space) for a TV or standalone display device. I don't even have television connection yet, no cable plan or satelite. So I'd like for my guests to be able to watch movies on my LCD monitor at night or whatever, if they're using the room. It probably won't get used often for this purpose considering I've got a state of the art projection setup in the living room a few feet away and my bedroom is next door which will eventually have a plasma on the wall when it becomes affordable, but I still want to be able to get the maximum performance from DVD on my PC regardless.

If anyone could guide me through the main steps and keep in mind that I'm somewhat illiterate on the technical side of this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

2. Matt Wright

Matt Wright Stunt Coordinator

So do you have the LCD monitor connected via DVI to your PC already? if so then you don't need to do a thing. If not, does the video card have DVI output?

Just install the DVD playing software. The Plextor includes a freebee from Roxio which is mediocre so if you are serious about it you will want to get a better program, Intervideo WinDVD 6 is pretty good.

One SNAFU I just noticed, you have an old PIII system.... I don't recall you saying that in the other thread. It will almost guaranteed have USB 1.1 ports which just won't do for modern peripherals, a DVD burner needs a high-speed USB 2.0 port.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Okay, please excuse my lack of knowledge in this field... but how can I check (specifically, what should I look for on my tower) to determine whether or not my pc supports a USB 2.0 port?

If in fact, I have an older outdated 1.1 port (Which seems likely), is there anything that can be done about this or am I in the market for a new computer altogether?

And to answer your first two questions which probably don't make a difference in light of the USB port issue...

"So do you have the LCD monitor connected via DVI to your PC already? if so then you don't need to do a thing. If not, does the video card have DVI output?"

No, all I know is that the new Samsung monitor has a DVI input... I don't know anything about video cards and am not even sure I have one?

Thanks so much for your help with this Matt, I really appreciate it!