Running coax cable

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by JohnnyM, Sep 29, 2003.

1. JohnnyM

JohnnyM Auditioning

I now have a need to run RG6 coax cable from my basement to my second floor bedrooms. I ran it through the heating ducts. I get terrible reception on the TV's. It seems like I get the same cable TV reception whether I connect the cable or let the TV pull OTA stations in with no antenna hook up. When I do this, my main TV set's picture is affected with a slight to moderate ghost.
    Is running RG6 coax cable thru my heating ducts causing the problem? Is there a fix? How else would I run the coax from the basement to the 2nd floor? Would going to an outside wall, up the exterior of my vinyl sided house and back in be a better solution? I can't get my steel fish up or down the cold air returns either, if that would be a better idea.

Any suggestions welcome.

John

2. ChrisChap

ChrisChap Stunt Coordinator

Does the cable only enter your house in the basement from an underground run, or is there an above ground run elsewhere?

3. JohnnyM

JohnnyM Auditioning

Chris,

The cable runs underground from a utility box near the street, comes up out of the ground at the exterior wall, up the wall about a foot or so and then into my basement ceiling area. The grounding block is attached to the face of a joist. My basement is unfinished.

John

4. ChrisChap

ChrisChap Stunt Coordinator

If that is the case I'd split it outside and run it upstairs on the outswide wall.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

It COULD be caused by the heating ducts. But ... I have seen similar problems with poorly-attached "F" connectors. Cut the ends off and attach new connectors. Be very careful to not let any of the mesh/foil shield touch the center wire. (The mesh/foil SHOULD grip the connector) In fact, the white foam/plastic around the center wire should suspend it in the middle of the F connector.

Make sure to tighten the F connector at each end finger tight, then use pliers/wrench to make it extra snug. Not enough to break off the fitting, but tighter than your fingers can un-do.

Note: do you have a small TV that you can hook up in the basement to make sure you dont have a problem in the coax BEFORE flowing through the new cable in the heating duct?

6. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    Can you put a vcr in the basement and hook the line that runs upstairs to the "out to TV", then hit play and see how the reception is on the TV upstairs. If you have good reception then it is not the cable internal but something between the house and the utility box.

Good Luck