Running cat5 on BX cable, help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lisa Space, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Lisa Space

Lisa Space Extra

I'm running a pvc pipe with CAT5 and RG6 cable's in it. there is a BX cable that runs at a 90 degree. I know this is enough to have it all work right, but I do not want to take any chances, so a freind of mine mentioned putting a little square piece of lead between them two, would this setup help? Thanks

Lisa Space

2. ScottFauque

ScottFauque Agent

Lisa,

I don't honestly know if the lead will make any difference. Sounds good in theory, tho. The key thing you stated was the BMX is at 90 degrees. This is ideal and a suggestion I have seen more than once. Aside from that your RG6 is probably quad-shielded to avoid interference and your CAT5 has 4 twisted pairs to avoid interference. Add the lead if you desire if it helps you sleep and if you are the very cautious type (which I am as well).

Also, I've read that if you do run speaker/cat5/quad parallel with electrical raceways that they need to be at least 12" apart and preferably on different sides of a stud.

Sorry I don't have the references to what I read. I'm fairly sure it was related to home networking sites of which I have read 100+.

Anyhow, people with EE degrees or other related perhaps could give you more specifics. HTH some.

3. Lisa Space

Lisa Space Extra

Thanks for the help...like all the books say, it cost more to rip down a new wall....so I guess I will go with the lead.

Lisa