What's new

Running cables though ceiling in apartment/condo (1 Viewer)

Real Name
seth c.
Hi i'm moving in about 2 weeks to my student condo and was wondering is it even possible or has someone successfully ran speakerwire though there ceiling with fish wire without completly tearing it up..a couple small holes is fine they wont care and i can always fill them in. just wondering if its worth my time. I have only been in the room once so havn't check on running under the baseboards but will prob. do this if ceiling is impossible.

my system is a 5.1 polk audio 6800tnm with a onkyo txsr674 so i'm wanting it to look good considering i am currently working at circuit city and have done a couple installs i like things neat.

any suggestions would be nice, either ceiling or running boards i wont be putting a rug down or anything cause to me its a little lazy(no offense to anyone that has it now.)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It would be a bit of a challenge – how “doable” it is depends on how large of holes you can get away with. I’d suggest using a really stiff wire, like the kind they use for hanging ceiling grids rather than a fish tape. It’s typically to “rolled up” and will end up in circles once you shove it up into the ceiling, unless the space above is really shallow (like a wall). You could use a telescoping magnet to help snag the wire on the other end. Check the Retro-wiring article in my signature. It’s primarily relating to running wire through attics, but maybe you can pick up some tips that would be useful in your situation.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Real Name
seth c.
ahh thx wayne for the advice from a fellow texan! Your articles were very informative i'll have to access the situation a little more when i get there see how much damage i can do......

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericjonathan
Recent bookmarks