Running (and terminating) Coax Wire

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dave Schofield, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I am in the process of upgrading to DirecTivo and I have a few "newbie" questions regarding Coax wiring. I would have left them on this Thread but I think this forum gets a bit more traffic than the PVR forum does...

I have a dual LNB dish with only one LNB "active" at this time. In hindsight, I should have had the installer run both lines into the house when he did the install, but at that point I didn't know I would ever need it. I would like to not only upgrade to a multiple tuner setup (dual tuner DirecTivo machine and an extra reciever in the bedroom) but also make sure I'm set for HDTV if/when I decide to upgrade.

As I see it, I have a few options
    • Hire an installer to run the coax from the dish into the house, including the "bust through" and all custom-length wiring to the reciever(s).
    • Buy the equpiment and supplies (probably from Parts Express) to make my own coax cables and borrow/buy the necessary items for the "bust through".

I'm leaning toward the "hire the installer" option, because I'm guessing it will be cheaper in the short run, but I am in the market for a new house, and I'm guessing that the second option will save me money and hassle in the long run, so that I can do all of my own wiring. I also see in Parts Express a "window sleeve" that is flat enough to allow it to pass between through the gap of a window, but I'm not entirely sure that it would be DSS compatible. If it were usable for DSS, it would save me the hassle of the "bust through" portion of the install.

So, my questions are:
    1. How many runs should I bring in from the dish to allow for future upgrade to HDTV and possible external OTA Antenna?
    2. Should I try this on my own?
    3. Anyone have any recommendations for kits (wire strippers, etc) and termination parts?
    4. Can I use RG-6 for DSS installations? Parts Express lists those products approved for CATV use, but not DSS (though I may have missed it).[/list=1]

If anyone is willing to talk me through this, via PM or e-mail, I'd be more than appreciative.

Thanks!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Dave,

I’d say you don’t want to attempt this unless you are already something of a handyman. If you’re good at using hand tools and power tools (which probably means you already have some) and are able to do detailed, intricate work, you should have no problem.

You are lucky in that since you already have one cable run, you can simply trace it and see what was done, and copy it for the next one.

If you think you’re up to the challenge, e-mail me and I’ll be happy to help out: [email protected].

We’ll start with your questions:

Yes, RG-6 is the cable of choice for satellite.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

YGM.

If I were to want HDTV (w/ DirecTV & OTA) at this location, how many runs would I need from the dish to the reciever?

4. jason maxwell

jason maxwell Auditioning

Radio Shack sells rg6 connecters(.40 ea),crimp tool($17) and coax wire strippers($12).They make the job pretty easy and they will pay for themselves when you build your house and you can do the coax yourself.

5. Joe Frederick

Joe Frederick Auditioning

You shouldn't need to run another cable. You should be able to buy a multiplexer to hook LNB 1 and 2 together next to your dish and use the single line into your house. Inside you would need a diplexer to split the signal back out to its 2 seperate sources (LNB1 and LNB2).