Running an SVS Sub off a Receivers “extra” surround Channel ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Sefranek, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I’m putting together a system for my brother-in-law and he wants to get an SVS Sub because he loves the way my twin 20-39’s sound.

I’m trying to stay within the 5,000-dollar budget my sister has given him.

This has to buy everything (HD-RPTV, Progressive DVD, Speakers, SUB & misc. Cables)

I’m a separates guy myself, but the budget doesn’t allow for that.

I’m looking at the newer Denon (and other) Receivers and I see many of them now have SEVEN channels of equal power.

If I buy a 3801 or 3802 and only run the standard 5-channels, can I use one of the “extra” Surround channels to power a passive 25-31 Sub?

I’ve heard Ron from SVS say you can run these things on a 100-Watt amp without a problem, but what about sharing duties with the other speakers in the system?

The other speakers will probably be the Atlantic Technology 170 or 270 series.

Is anyone doing this in their system ???

Will this be OK or will it overwork the Receiver ???

Shawn S

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Shawn,

There's no way to route the signal to the internal amplifier channel to the best of my knowledge.

Without that, I don't see this as being possible.

Plus, receivers aren't faring as well as manufacturers specs with all channels driven, so even though your receiver might be rated at 100w/8ohms all channels driven, it looks like the real world value is around 50-60 which is a bit too little.

Best bet IMO is to scour the used market for an appropriate power amplifier.

Regards,

3. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

Yea, that’s true. I didn’t even think about the crossover and line level IN/OUT problems.

As I said, I’m used to dealing with separates which offer more flexibility.

I’m driving my two SVS’s with 240-Watt Mono Parasound Amps.

Instead of looking for another receive or Mono Amp to power his SUB, I will probably just suggest using a powered SVS.

Shawn S

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Shawn,
    Thanks for the demo/sale...[​IMG]
    Does he have any current (stereo or DPL) receiver that could be used to power the SV when he gets the newer receiver? He could also think about a $79-99 2 channel receiver from bestbuy to start...matched with maybe a 25-31cs(tuned to 22hz?). Then he could add the second 25-31cs/S700 down the road when budget allows.
    TV