Running an older game problem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Al.Anderson, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I'm trying to get a somewhat older game to run on XP(Heroes of Might and Magic II). It runs poorly in "XP native mode". It runs somewhat better in compatibility mode, but it still doesn't run well. The biggest annoyance is that it's very choppy and in addition the sounds cuts in and out. I'm taking a wild guess that it's at least partially due the fact that XP has multitasking and 95/98 did not. Is there any way to turn off the multitasking for an account? Or maybe have an application run at a really high priority? Alternately, are there any of those pesky background processes that I can kill that might be getting continual CPU slices; and if I kill them does it just affect the current login account/user or will it kill them for all accounts? (I wondering if I can set up a "games" login with limited OS overhead.) Thanks.

2. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I luck out on DOS stuff since I have an old Sound Blaster PCI 512 as my primary sound card - Sound Blaster emulation always works good.

Apparently there is a program called VDMsound that may help you. It emulates oldschool sound cards, and apparently help fix some of the typical issues (not enough expanded or conventional memory, etc). See here:

http://www.longhighway.com/sandbox/xp.html

Official page:
    http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/

I feel for you. I occasionally boot up Betrayal at Krondor, I actually played through the goldbox EGA graphics Pool of Radiance a few years back on my Athlon 750 (using one of the CPU slow tools). I would play Civ II if I could find my disc of it! Ditto with Master of Orion II - I play that still from time to time.

You might want to pick up Heroes 3 on the cheap. Quality game, runs in Windows, still has everything great that HOMM1 & HOMM2 had. HOMM4 was a little lacking, though, despite the new pretty graphics.

3. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    Dave, thanks for the reply. I had been thinking of HoMM2 as a Win95 game; but you're right, Win95 is really a shell on top of DOS. So playing with DOS tricks may help. Althought I'm not sure I'm that dedicated. If you ever get stuck, there's another DOS tool you can find under dosbox.sourceforge.net. (Strangely enough, my buddy just got done replaying Betrayal at Krondor under DOSBox).

I do enjoy HoMM3, but HeroesII just had a certain charmthat I wanted to relive. And I also tried CivII just a couple of months ago and couldn't get it to work at all. I can't believe they left the advisors out of Civ3 - I loved those guys!

4. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

For the MS-DOS based oldies you should take a look at DOSBox. I've had great success getting games like Colonization and Bard's Tale running more or less flawlessly. It basically provides better DOS emulation (with sound and mouse support) than what's offered in Windows 2000 and XP. It's got a big compatability database and you can alter speed on the fly as you play.

Really handy if you've got a hankering for stuff like Betrayal at Krondor and the Gold Box AD&D games.

EDIT: ARGH! Al beat me to it! [​IMG]

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Mmmmmm, Bard's Tale

Actually this would be a good time for me to revisit an old game - my Radeon 8500 is on the blip (I think it's dying - many weird artifacts in DirectX games). I think it's time to power up an old abandonware game [​IMG]

Since I lost my copy of CivII gold, perhaps I'll fire up HOMM3, or perhaps Betrayal at Krondor. Or maybe I'll, ahem, track down a copy of Bard's Tale 1.

I've got a dual 3.5inch/ 5.25 inch drive in my PC (scrounged from an old $1 dead PC at a local community college sale some years back). I put it in when my normal 3.5" drive died. I actually have the dual 3.5"/5.25" version of Pool of Radiance. But it's faster to download it than actually use the disks [​IMG]