Running a DVD thru a stereo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I'm trying to think if my entry-level Panasonic RV30 DVD can be used by someone who has a new 27in TV (with S-video) and a small Aiwa tabletop system with 4 speakers.

We can send the DVD's analog audio output (L/R) to the Aiwa and S-video from DVD to TV.

My question is: Not all DVDs come with a Dolby Surround 2.0 track. So what happens to the audio if we play a Dolby Digital 5.1 only soundtrack?

Surprisingly, this Aiwa has a SUB OUT for a powered woofer,

and an optical CD Digital Out. It can handle LD as well as VCR and phono, a/c the manual.

(I can't test this out since we live 400 miles apart.)

2. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Does the DVD player have DD decoding capabilities?

If yes, then the player has analog 5.1 outputs.

Just go into the DVD player's menu system set the Main speakers to Large and set all the other speakers to off, this will automatically downconvert the signal to 2 channel output.

Now it doesn't matter what DVD you play, even DD5.1 discs will output 2 channel sound.

Now just use the DVD main L&R analog out to the L&R input on the Aiwa.

BruceD

3. PeteD

PeteD Stunt Coordinator

Im not sure if I'm missing something, but it sounds like you want to know "What happens if I hook up a DVD players Left and Right audio out to a stereo when I watch DD 5.1 movie?"
    As far as I know, your DVD player does a downconversion of 5.1 to 2.0 Pro Logic Surround. Some DVD's come with a 2.0 mix because it will sound better, than the down converted 5.1 done by your DVD player.
    Your DVD player can do this for compatability.
    If this isn't your question, than I have no idea [​IMG]

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

thanks, y'all

The Panasonic RV30 DVD manual shows connections for 2-channel stereo, so this certainly is a workable option. I just was curious if a 5.1 only disc wud downconvert in the DVD to 2-chl analog stereo as opposed to a mono mix from L/R spkrs. In any case I'm gonna pass the unit along and hook it up thusly for stereo.

(Forgive me, but I've told the giftee the DVD player can be set for 4:3 pan n scan sted of 16:9 letterbox, so at least they know the options)

bill

5. PeteD

PeteD Stunt Coordinator

---

(Forgive me, but I've told the giftee the DVD player can be set for 4:3 pan n scan sted of 16:9 letterbox, so at least they know the options)

---

Don't worry about us, but you've likely lied to your friend.

The only thing you can tell the DVD player to do is format the output for a wide screen television or a standard television.

If you set the DVD player for 4:3 (standard) he will get black bars on widescreen movies. If he sets it 16:9 and has an ordinary TV, he'll get a squished picture ie(people/objects) thinner and taller.

Now, some players (most?) can do pan&scan on the fly from a widescreen movie, but the disc itself needs to be programmed to do it and I haven't come across any.

Why not just enlighten your friend? There's a pretty good widescreen FAQ right here on the forum you should direct them too!

Take care,

Pete

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Pete, you're right: I tried it and there's no "automatic" conversion to pan n scan on a 4:3 display monitor for a widescreen DVD.

Oh well, this friend has seen lots of widescreen letterbox on my rig together w/ my velcro'd masks and understands true aspect. thanks.