Running "A" and "B" speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Panz, Dec 7, 2001.

1. John_Panz

John_Panz Auditioning

This is definitely a newbie question but . . .

I'm going to install some in-ceiling speakers (2) in my kitchen/dining area - and am also thinking of running some to my porch (2).

I plan to run them off the B speaker switch on my receiver. I would only use these speakers for music.

Is there a way for me to run both sets at the same time? If so, could I also run my A switch, which is my HT 5.1 setup, with the effect off so it is just 2 channel?

The Receiver is a Yamaha RX-V596 at 100w/channel.

thanks.

2. Robert Burnie

Robert Burnie Auditioning

[font=]One option would be to just run your cieling speakers into your A channel. Then get a music distribution unit (open house H460) which will put out 12w per speaker for your outside patio. The H460 is compatible with A-bus IR single gang controllers but they have a non IR version available as well. The H470. The H460 will run right into your system and operate those speakers as it's own entity. This will give you music inside and outside at the same time without having to select A, B, or AB.

Hope this helps.

3. John_Panz

John_Panz Auditioning

I can't run my ceilings into my A because it is already full - I'm running all 5 channels.

As for the rest, I hate to admit that I have no clue what you are talking about. Even if I could run them to A, how would I connect the H460/470?

4. Robert Burnie

John,
    I got a diagram of how it works. It would be simpler for me to just show you and have you understand than to try and explain it. My e-mail address is [email protected]
    I'll send it in .pdf which is Adobe acrobat.

5. Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan Stunt Coordinator

John,
    I have a similar setup. I use the B output of my system to run music only speakers in my kitchen and porch. I use a Niles switching unit that lets me send the B signal into the kitchen speakers, the patio speakers, or both. This is a small stand alone box that I keep in the kitchen, so I can switch the kitchen speakers on or off quickly, if the phone rings. It also has a volume control, so you can equilibrate the loudness of the speakers, making it easier to adjust the volume of the remote speakers from the preamp. I know other companies make similar boxes. The Nile cost me under $200. Their website is www.nilesaudio.com . This is a simple, easy to use solution to the problem. If you need more info I can e-mail you the model number of my box.
    Tom Fynan

6. Robert Burnie

Tom,
    Could you send me the info on it as well. MT Express, a division of Multiplex is allowed to OEM products. I'd like to take a look at it and see if it's something the management might want to add to our product list.
    Thanks

7. Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan Stunt Coordinator

My model is a Niles SVL-2 speaker selection/volume control system. The "B" output from my main system plugs into the box, and then outputs go from the box to my two remote sets of speakers. As I said, it's a simple way to expand the flexability of your music system. Mine's about five years old, so I don't know if they still make the same model.

Tom Fynan