Running 9.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulXH, Jul 26, 2002.

1. PaulXH

PaulXH Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone tried the 9.1 setup with the new Sunfire Theater Grand III?

Paul

2. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Well, that beats Yamaha's 8.1!

3. HankB

HankB Stunt Coordinator

Let me know when someone does that will all studio 40's and servo-15. [​IMG]

4. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

That'd probably leave some Joe-6-Packs saying, WHO the *BLEEP* would want 10 speakers in the house when the sound in the TV is just enough? I got a VCR for 30 bucks, a 20 inch TV for $100 with only one speaker in it, and I get all my movies on VHS and they look and sound pretty damn good on this system. Oh, and you know what? THESE movies FILL MY SCREEN, unlike DVD.

LMAO! I'm just saying what a major Joe-6-Pack would say. LOL

5. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

most people, j6p or not, don't have the right theater room to pull something like that off.

6. Ken Garrison

Where would all 9 speakers go?

7. PaulXH

PaulXH Stunt Coordinator

On the side, near the front. They matrix part of the signal from the front speakers.

Paul

8. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

With 9.1 you would have:

Left Main
    Right Main
    Center
    Right Surround
    Left Surround
    Right Rear Surround
    Left Rear Surround
    Right Front Effects
    Left Front Effects
    Subwoofer (what just one?)

Damn that's a lot of speakers. IMO Having front effects speakers helps with music more than HT by making a high position fill.

9. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Why not wait for a new improved 12.4 model.

10. Ray M Y

Ray M Y Auditioning

I smell 10.2 just around the corner... [​IMG] I'm not even close to the space and $$ requirements, but there's always room to dream, right?

11. Ken Garrison

Oh, so this system basically acts like a Dolby Surround system, extracting extra sound outta 5.1 channels?

12. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

13. Ken Garrison

Sounds like a plan. I guess in non EX encoded material with the center infomation in the back, it'll extract it kinda like Dolby Prologic extracting the center outta the front. I guess with 12.1, you'll have speakers on the ceiling as well for them airplanes that fly over head. How about 12.5? 3 subs in the front and 2 in the back. Surround sub! You're ears may not hear direction bass, but your body might. Oh, and maybe another sub 20 FEET WIDE that'll go outside for the earthquake scenes. I have seen the classifieds in the back of a Stereo Review magazine for a 20 foot subwoofer. Sum-bitch is banned in California due to earthquake prevention laws. GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE.

14. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    9.1, 11.2 what ever you want to call it, I just call it EXS!
    EXS[​IMG]
    Wes

15. Ferran Mazzanti

Ferran Mazzanti Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't this have a limit? 9.1? 12.2? You guys do not have speakers in your room, but rather a room in your speaker system [​IMG]
    BTW, is there ANY DVD using all those channels?

16. JamesY

JamesY Stunt Coordinator

There are technically no DVD soundtracks that are higher than DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, but quite a number of DVD's are actually encoded from 8 channel SDDS tracks, with left-center and right-center front channels mixed into the front L and R mains. So 8.1-2 and 9.1-2 (if you use two rear centers and or two subs) with a five (yes, five) front channel setup can be used with relatively "discrete" sound from each of the channels.

Proper matrixing equipment is necessary to discretely bring out the extra channels of course, such as the processors made by SMART.

Though more and more channels are nice (I have 7.1), my real hope for the future of audio is not for more channels, but for higher resolution - at least 96/24 on all channels. There are only a few titles now available in Europe, but DTS 96/24 software can't come soon enough!

My $.02

17. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Most rooms can't even handle 6 speakers, let alone 8... and now we're talking about 10. I just don't see it being so.

As for 10.2... it does exist, not as a consumer avliable format, but as a test conducted by THX. it would add 4 more main speakers, in high and wide position to a 6.1 setup, plus a 2nd sub. The idea is to re-create live concert music. But I don't think it'll catch on, cause it requires too much room space, plus the cost of more and more speakers.

I agree that higher resolution is more needed than more channels. But forget DTS 24/96; I heard somewhere that the Audio format for HD-DVD may be 24bit, 192khz, with NO lossy compression (just standard compression to eliminate repeating data).

I'm still looking for some crediable links to verify the possibility of this. It sure would be nice.

DTS 24/96 would be nice for now if I ever get to hear it. My receiver can handle it, but there are only 4 titles out currently in the world that are DTS 24/96, and nothing I want to listen to. The wait continues...

18. Han

Han Second Unit

I don't think the side speakers that bridge the gap between the front and rears is going to happen as a standard. Tom Holman's (sp?) 10.2 system has two height speakers located in the front soundstage. Yamaha's front effects speakers are also supposed to be high and in the front soundstage, but are wider apart. And I'm not sure where height-wise SDDS's extra speakers go, but they are also intended to add depth, which I'd assume would mean further back from the front soundstage.
    So in planning for the home theater of my next house, I'm going to run two extra speaker cables high in the front wall. I guess I'd cover up the jacks with pictures until that future format comes along.[​IMG] Well, a bigger house is at least three years away (assuming the economy picks up), but it's never too early to plan/dream.

19. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Insanely amount of playback channels has always existed in Ambisonic systems. There are people out there with 24 or 48 discrete channels, with scores and scores of height channels. Channels below you is not out of the question since floor information is fully encoded into the recordings.

Fully encoded Ambisonic only requires 4 channels to carry all the information needed to extract whatever channel you need.

Why wait for 10.2 or 12.4 and go through multiple generations of planned obsolescence. Ambisonic 3-D (meaning front/rear/left/right/up/down) recording has existed since the late 70's, and they are fully compatable with newer and newer generations of Ambisonic playback system. Plus they are just as good as Ambisonic recordings done today.

20. JamesY

JamesY Stunt Coordinator

Geoff,
    I agree with your statements, and in fact I have read myself that HD-DVD is working on 24/192 encoding (trying to find the link myself). The most promising feature I've heard about is allowing subtitles to be truly controlled by the player, font sizes/styles/and positions.

However, HD-DVD is quite a few years off, so I wouldn't count out DTS 24/96 just yet - they have been one company (in competition with DD) in the last 5 years to really push for less compression in audio. I really think that Dolby dropped the ball with D-VHS, which offers such a high resolution in video, but just plain old current DD compression, just at the full bit-rate of 576kbps.

I make the same comparison with video - a larger and larger screen is nice, but not at the expense of using the same resolution and just "scaling" all the sources. Either way, 9.1, THX 10.2, 12.4, Ambisonic 3-D, or however many channels, resolution (and less compression as you mentioned, Geoff) is really what I'm waiting for, and I'll take it in any way shape or form. My $.02