What's new

running 2 subs (1 Viewer)

i blew the driver on my omage 12 inch sub it is being repaired under warrenty,this really disappointed me,but what do i expect for 250.00 can. So i have ordered the psw-650 polk this matches the rest of my system and i enjoyed the way it sounded plus i am getting a great deal on it .my question is should i run my omage with the polk if so how do i add a second sub and where should it be placed in the room.the 650 will be cross corner INTHE ROOM ,any suggestions would be helpful.thx :)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If I were in your situation, I would use the old sub as a dedicated surroud sub so that it captures all of the low bass info for the surround channels only, something LFE subs son't do too well. Connect the surrL and surrR from your receiver to the sub's input and then connect the sub's output to your surround speakers. Then place the sub somewhere in the rear of the room.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well, the SVS guys tend to recommend putting dual subs right next to each other. I think this is to help reduce the problems trying to get subs in different locations to sync up the waves at the listening positions.

Neil, I'm confused by your statement
...so that it captures all of the low bass info for the surround channels only, something LFE subs don't do too well.
I thought the internal bass-management routed the low frequency sounds from any SMALL speaker to the LFE port. Could you elaborate why this does not work well?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
My experience -

I was selling my old Optimus 10" 120w sub after upgrading to an SV. I brought it to my friends house just to leave for a while, to let him get a taste of something other than his bandpass Sony that came with an HTIB kit.

We calibrated....

First the Sony, to see what it was really like. Suprisingly not bad.

Then Opty, in the same spot on the floor.

Better, but not as 'peaky' as the Sony, and since he was used to a very strong 40-60 hz bump, he figured the flatter deeper Optimus was lacking.

So, what the hey, I daisy-chained them together, and calibrated them together with the phase correct and all....

THAT was a revelation - So friggin loud, strong, deep, it was NUTS. Mostly loud. I'm sure his Boston CR6 / Sony DE575 combo was running out of gas while the 2 subs were just cruising, but it was around 105 - 108 db's in that room.

(Hardwood floors, pretty lively)

My SV puts out better quality, at about the same level or higher (165 watts) but for the 2 subs there we had about $200 worth of VERY loud bass.

If you have 2 subs laying around, I'd say set everything to small, run the subs off of the combined LFE, and put them right next to / on top of each other in the best location possible.

Have fun, Good Luck

- CM

colin what does dasiy chain mean,umm-how do you run the 2 subs together,and when calabrating what would you set the crossovers to.thx

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Daisy-chain really means going RCA in to one amp, and then RCA out to the next amp. Can also apply to power cables, anything that goes in-out-in-out along a chain of equipment.

What I REALLY did was 'split' the LFE from the receiver to the 2 individual subs, so they were getting the same signal.

I had my buddy hold the SPL meter at the sweet spot, and brought one sub up to 70db, shut it off and did the same for the other, then turned #1 back on. The level jumped up a bit too much so I just backed the level down using the rec's level control.....

BOOM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks