RUNCO DLP's rebadged?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Oswald Pascual, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

I know RUNCO's CRT's were rebadged NEC's with a few modifications. I was wondering if the same goes for there pricey DLP's? I have to say that I did see the VX-100ci and was impressed.

2. Oswald Pascual

Bump

3. Oswald Pascual

WOW, I am surprised no one seems to know... Hmmm.
    One more Bumb around.

4. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

Hi,

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. My hunch is that it's a re-badge, though.

I've heard good and bad things about Runco. My own experience isn't too positive. I have a Panasonic 42" 4UY plasma. I was shown the Runco version of this very same plasma, which came with a very expensive scaler. The salesman claimed Runco had made further refinements to the plasma (screen coating I think, and some changes to the electronics).

So, I brought my reference DVDs and put it through the paces. It was a great set-up, very high-end Meridian DVD player, dedicated room, power conditioners, high-end cables the whole shebang. My plasma cost me $8,000 Canadian (about 1 1/2 years ago, when prices were higher). The Runco version of the same plasma was "on sale" for something like $22,000 (!!!!). The kicker? The picture was inferior to my own off the shelf plasma (noisier, less sharp for two things).

Not impressed. Caveat emptor.

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

AFAIKm Runco isn't an OEM of anything. So yes, I would expect their DLPs are rebadged products.

Robert, who paid 6000 dollars for the NEC CRT projector that's one step above the rebadged NEC projector aka Runco that Roger Ebert paid 50,000 bucks for [​IMG]

6. Oswald Pascual

I was trying figure out what DLP front projectors they are rebadging as RUNCO's. They are selling most of their pricier stuff with scalers. I was told Faroudja chips, but unconfirmed.

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Oswald,

I do know that many DLP are rebadged as you say. Toshiba's HD2 is a rebadged Infocus 7200 for instance.

I'm pretty sure that Runco rebadges DLP products as well...but I do think they also may make their own propreitary modifications. In fact, many DLP projector manufactures do this both to try to improve image quality over the "stock" version but also so they can try to make it sound like they're not merely slapping their name on someone else's machine.

Ok...no flames please [​IMG] but it is prudent to mention that lots of discussion about this very topic comes up at AVS routinely. I've told you all that I know...and so it might be worth investigating. Naturally let us know if you find anything out!

dave [​IMG]

p.s. Runco is about to release 2 new DLP projectors...one HD2-based and one based on the new Matterhorn chip which is essentially standard-definition (1024 x 576). I think the Stardard-def verison will street close to $5K. Infocus is doing the same thing and their new Stadard-def 16x9 projector will be even more affordable.

September should shake things up as there are several significant announcements/products that will be shown at Cedia...some of them priced within reason.

8. Oswald Pascual

When is RUNCO schedule to do this release?

9. Robert McLay

Robert McLay Stunt Coordinator

Robert
    AFAIK the Runco DLP projector is a rebadged BenQ 8700

Rob

10. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Auditioning

It is true that the Runco 710 is a rebadged Benq 8700. Check the AVS forum for this. However the Runco has the option to use long throw on the lens vs only short throw for the Benq.

11. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

all i have to say is: "who cares?"

look at them side by side if you can, and see which looks better... ive not seen any other projector that looks as good as a runco for the same price. yes, they are repackaged, no, i wont tell you what they are [​IMG]

it really doesnt matter. you know that only 5 companies make plasma displays, the rest are just rebadged right? but most of the original manufacteres are not that great...

most companies dont even use their own drivers for speakers either.

12. MikeTz

MikeTz Stunt Coordinator

The Runco is a rebadged BenQ 8700 with a tweaked video processor and lens options. The "tweaking" Runco does makes the CL-710 a bit better than the BenQ under certain circumstances according to some. Though this is a point of near religious debate on the AVS Forum.

I have a Runco CL-710 and paid 7K for it. It produces excellent pictures with my satellite and DVD sources. Since it's a DLP you must have a room that is completely (or almost completely) dark. I have also seen the BenQ 8700 and it's video is very good.

I wouldn't get hung up on rebadging, virtually every manufacturer uses components, boards, assemblies, subsystems, and/or systems produced by others. You only have to decide whether the end product is worth the price.

MT

13. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

phew, i debated for awhile whether to post, or to just let it go. thanks for backing up what i said. its a touchy topic!

14. Oswald Pascual

I don't understand why this is a touchy subject? Tons of stuff gets rebadged. As far as "Looking at them side by side" comment, well we all know that is simply not possible, which is why we tend to read reviews and comments on products. I can't exactly walk into a store and say lets me see the Runco 710 and the BenQ 8700. If we could then we could better decide if the BenQ gives you more bang for your buck than the runco.

I have been trying to find image comparable PJ to the Runco VX100ci, and it appears all of its compettitors are about 5 to 8K's cheaper. Is the premium simply for the name or is one actually getting more for the dollar? Well I do not know yet and its very hard to find all of ones choices in the same room for an even comparison. So reviews an opinions mean a lot, specially if its coming from actual users, and not employees of a company.

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

16. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

The BenQ can be obtained for under $5K with warranty and is about the best bargin in 16x9 HD DLP projection out there today.