Run to your nearest DVD outlet and watch Lola Run!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Garman, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. Just had the chance to view the German film Run Lola Run in my film criticism course. I must say that I was astounded. I quickly went out to buy it and watched it in full 5.1 digital sound. This film is really amazing. To those who haven't seen it, I whole heartedly reccomend it. To those who have seen it, watch it again. My final thought is to watch it in German, because the English dub is TERRIBLE! Happy viewing!

AJ Garman

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

It's a favorite of my collection. Got turned on to it soon after it's initial release because a friend watched it in his German class. Hell of a film.

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Glad you enjoyed it. I've been borrowing this film out for the past two years, getting everyone I can to see it. I adore it and it made me a huge fan of Tom Tykwer and Franka Potente.

Bruce

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

You should then also watch "The Princess and the Warrior". Much slower than RLR but still a solid Tykwer film.

And we will have Tykwer's next film "Heaven" hitting the US this Fall, something else to look forward to.

It's just one of a numerous examples that "arty foreign films" are really just as mainstream and pop culture as American films, or at least good American films compared to good foreign films.

Sure there are some difficult views out there, but then so is Muholland Drive. But stuff like RLR, Crouching Tiger, Brotherhood of the Wolf, No Man's Land, Amorres Perros, Dinner Game, etc show us that foreign films offer a lot of the same things we expect out of good American films.

Just imagine if a language barrier had kept you from seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, or The Godfather. That's the risk that US audiences run everytime they skip a quality foreign film.

Many of these films have a lot more than "snob appeal" behind them.

5. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

I finally got a chance to see this movie about a month ago, because my rental place couldn't get it in. Anyway, I also thought it was good. It wasn't the BEST movie in the world, but it was pretty good, and I would NEVER own it, only rent it, because I don't think it's good enough to own.

Anyway, I watched it with my parents, and my parents hated it! Especially my dad! He couldn't stand it. He said it was MUCH too boring.

To those in question, yes, we watched it in German, because I tried the ENGLISH version first, and it was so terrible! I quickly changed it to German, and put the sub-titles on. That made it much more believe-able, and interesting.

6. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

I too own it!

Great a movie and a much better DVD than I expected. It has a pretty good commentary track.

7. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Saw both "Run Lola Run" and "Princess and the Warrior" theatrically, but only wanted "Lola" on DVD.

I prefer Tykwer's "Winter Sleepers" to "Princess and the Warrior".

8. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Run Lola Run is very wonderful. I saw it 3 times in the theater when it played. I saw it first by myself, then brought my husband, who was crazy about it, then we saw it again. Bought the DVD day of release. Lots of fun!

9. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I'm more of a music collector, but Run Lola Run is one that I do own. I think its a great film, and has great repeat value. I've yet to listen to the commentary, which I will do on my next viewing. Potente was standout.

10. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

I also love this movie. I have the DVD and prefer the German track like every one else.

Angel

11. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

12. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

13. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

Heaven is an incredible movie. Perhaps the most beautiful film I ever laid eyes on. It is more like "Princess and Warrior", a very calm movie on the surface but there is so much going on inside the characters that it has more tension and intensity than any movie I can remember. The script was written by polish author Krzysztof Kieslowski (who sadly died in 96) who also has also written the Three Colours Triology.
    Cate Blanchett is one of the best actresses working today and she is amazing in this one as is Gionanni Ribisi. The third star of the movie is the amazing tuscany countryside.
    Here you find the english trailer (Heaven is half english and half subtitled italian) and a higher resolution german trailer.

14. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

15. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I wonder if soon they'll be able to sample the original actors voices (to get thousands of variations of all the possible sylables) then get a computer to synthesize the foreign dialogue using the original actor's voice. Then maybe it would seem more natural. It is always bizarre to see a well known actor produce a voice that doesn't match the size of his or her lungs or anything.

16. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

My wife and I saw LOLA in the theaters and have had the DVD for - what? - 2 years now? If DVDs were like records, we'd have worn the grooves off by now! [​IMG]
    BTW, if you like the editing of this movie (particularly the FFW effect of shots being dealt out like cards), check out Guy Maddin's latest short film "The Heart of the World". It just came out on DVD from zeitgeist films (the DVD also includes my favorite feature-length Maddin film, Archangel, and also the somewhat lessor Twilight of the Ice Nymphs). Very similar editing to LOLA, and every bit the same extra caffeinated rush! [​IMG]