Run to Radio Shack and pick up the Cue Cats

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McElfresh, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

This was a promotion last year. The Que Cat is a bar-code scanner that connects to your computer's keyboard cable. When you run it across a bar code, it's like you typed the numbers into the keyboard.
    Commercial units run $100-$400 from Welch.
    Radio Shack is getting rid of them. I just brought home a case of 24. [​IMG]
    But Why you ask?
    Besides being some neat & free technology, you can use the Cue Cat with the software DVD Profiler to quickly scan in every DVD in your collection. This is a huge time saver.
    WARNING: do not load the CD rom that comes with the Cue Cat. It contains lots of promotional crap and some spy ware. Search the internet and you will find small utility drivers that just turn on the scanning feature of the Cat. The lawyers used to make threats against these utilities, but since the Que service is defunct, I dont think it will be a problem.

2. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Bob,
    How much are they and do you want to sell me one?

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Radio Shack was giving them away free. Check your local store. I got the case for free as well.

The ORIGINAL intent was that you would load all this software on your computer. Then with any UPC symbol the software would go through the QUE site, look up the Mfg web site and send you there.

If you scanned the code on a book for instance, the code would also be sent to Amazon/Barns&Noble so they could send you "special offers".

And of course, the QUE site would get money for re-directing people.

The Radio Shack catalog has each page with ":CIIIIII" type bar codes. Swipe the code and your browser would take you to the Radio Shack site. It could even be used to fill a electronic shopping cart.

This is why they were giving them away.

If your local stores are out, send me a PM and I'll mail you one or two.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Now that's what I call a thoughtful holiday present from you Bob!

5. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd

6. Greg Kennedy

Greg Kennedy Agent

I called three local stores and they knew exactly what you were talking about but they all did inventory a few months ago and they threw them away. One guy told me not to give up because there's still a chance there's some out there. I'll call a few more tomorrow (some of them aren't answering and are probably closed).

Greg

7. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I picked one of these up for free a year or so ago, consigned to my useless packrat tech pile. I'm going to dust it off, I have a use for it now! Thanks, Bob.