Run Run Shaw Martial Arts DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonZ, Nov 1, 2001.

1. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Last night in Media Play I bought:
    Avenging Eagle(My all time favorite martial arts film,but pan & scan [​IMG] )
    Invincible Shoalin(aka Unbeatable Dragon - I actually got on my knees and thanked God when I saw this)
    5 Superfighters
    Flag of Iron(aka Spearman of Death)
    Return of the Master Killer
    10 Tigers From Kwan Tung
    There were others there, but I didnt bring enough money [​IMG]
    This is just FYI for those interested, as they had at least another 10 titles I hadent seen on DVD before.
    Now what was that my friend said about these movies "Youll never see Run Run Shaw movies on DVD.Never!"
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

2. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

WHAT!! Avenging Eagle is on DVD????? Whoohooo!!. I am running of to the Great Mall in Milpitas to pick it up for lunch. Thanks for the info!

3. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Whoah. Let me temper my enthusiam a bit. Is this the classic Avenging Eagle that is also known as 13 Cold Blooded Eagles? The one where one of the main characters has 3 staffed nunchakus? And the other main character has blades hidden in his shoes?
    Just want to make sure before I make a run for Media Play [​IMG].

4. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Agent

what's media play? i must have avenging eagle.

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I dont believe its the same movie as 13 Cold Blooded Eagles unless one is a remake of the other. But yes Ti Lung used a 3 sectional staff and the late great Fu Sheng uses Sleeve Knives-theyre concealed in the souls of his boot.
    Also if you see Invincible Shaolin buy it!!! Its one of the few Shaw Bros films with ALL 5 Venoms(the others being 5 Deadly Venoms and Kid w/ Golden Arm)Most listed as "Venom" cast are missing Wei Pei(Snake)
    I was suprised a year ago when 5 DeadlyVenoms and Kid W Golden Arm came ou t but these 2...THANK GOD!!
    Also, Avenging Eagle unfortunately is a P&S release(Of course, becuase its my favorite). The other Shaw releases with the yellow cases and red writing are all in letterbox.
    If you go to this auction you can see what the cover looks like, the VHS and DVD are identical.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1478851445
    Steve,
    Its like Best Buy,Circuit City and such.Those stores really cant touch Media Play in the Martial Arts dept though-theyre selection is really fantastic. If theyre not in stock, theyll order them for you.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by JonZ on November 01, 2001 at 01:19 PM]

6. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

JonZ,
    You just made my day you know that [​IMG]? I have been dying to see this movie on DVD for the longest time. I think I check www.dvdpricesearch.com periodically for Avenging Eagle to show up there in a search, but nothing. Glad to know that it does exist. Thanks alot man.
    BTW, the remake of 13 Cold Blooded Eagles (Avenging Eagle) really sux.

7. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Ive been watching a copy I made from Kung Fu Theater back in 84 all this time [​IMG]
    Something told me to go to Media Play-and I had said "Why the hell did I come here? Theres nothing I want" But as I was walking out when I noticed them there.
    I had seen a film on the shelves for the longest time called Avenging Eagle and another called 13 Cold Blooded Eagles but neither was the Alexander Fu Sheng/Ti Lung film.
    ------------------

8. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

I have in my hands a copy of Avenging Eagle w/Ti Lung and Feng Shu! Whoohoo!! Yes it is horribly dubbed, and yes this is the only instance when dubbing is acceptable [​IMG]! You guys who are fans of Shaw Bros flicks should check out Media Play. Their action adventure section is loaded with Kung Fu theater classics.

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Glad you were able to find one Phu. [​IMG] Tell me thats not the most gratifying DVD youve held in your hands.
    I just ordered 2 copies of Invincible Shaolin for Christmas presents.
    I LOVE these movies.
    I am afraid with time theyre gonna crap out though. I had a first release Hellraiser2 Hellbound the audio track died after only 2 years.Since theyre "cheaper" DVDs I wonder how long theyll last.
    Steve, I used to live in Cape Coral and was considering moving back over by there, but now I dont know-theres no Media Play there [​IMG]I bought the last 2 copies(me and one for my bro) but Ill keep a eye out for you, can someone pick one up for Steve?
    ------------------
    [Edited last by JonZ on November 01, 2001 at 04:59 PM]

10. Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander Stunt Coordinator

Which of these titles are OAR? I'd love to pick these titles up but I've found too many titles labled "SHAWSCOPE" that are 4x3 cropped. Suncoast is getting tired of seeing me coming in for exchanges/refunds.
    For those that don't have a Media Play, Suncoast is the same thing.

11. Brian Cleary

Brian Cleary Extra

For detailed reviews of those Shaw Bros. titles on DVD, (and many others) check out KUNG FU DVD:
    http://www.dvdcult.com/kungfudvd.htm
    They also have a great forum about martial arts DVDs.

12. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Agent

jon, thanks for thinking about me! if anyone can get me a copy i'd gladly send a money order for all the costs of purchase and shipping.

13. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Steve,
    Im gonna check the Media Play in a nearby town to try to get a copy for my friends husband. If they have multiple copies I will pick one up for you.Ill get back to you later in the day.
    Marc,
    Im not sure but they do have a NS label on them(same as the VHS versions). All the Shaw Bros DVDs Ive bought with the yellow packaging and red writting have been in letter box. Avenging Eagle and 5 Superfighters have a silver box and are P&S.
    [Edited last by JonZ on November 02, 2001 at 07:22 AM]

14. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

I rented some of these and they are really very old transfers. Not good at all. But I did hear that some company has bought the rights to the entire Shaw Bros. series and will restore them one by one and put them out on DVD across the world, so that's good news. Anyone know a link to that article? I cannot find it.
    ------------------
    "My wife actually prefers widescreen"

15. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Steve,
    Got you one.You owe me your first born...well actually just $17 will do.
    Write me at [email protected] and Ill give you my address.
    ------------------

16. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

CELESTIAL Pictures will spend up to US$15 million (HK$117 million) for the digital remastering of the Shaw Brothers film library. Remastering experts and machinery have been flown in for the job which is expected to take two years. As Hong Kong's top movie studio in the 1960s and '70s, Shaw Brothers churned out cult classics such as The One-Armed Swordsman and The Five Deadly Venoms. Its biggest asset is Television Broadcasts (0511), the world's biggest producer of Chinese-language television programming. TVB has also ventured into publishing, the Internet, cable and satellite. The remastering of the 760-picture library, acquired in March 2000 for HK$600 million, will be done out of the Shaw Brothers studio in Clearwater Bay, says Celestial CEO William Pfeiffer. The original Shaw House is being renovated to house the Celestial offices. The company plans to re-release the Shaw Brothers films on video, television and digital media. It has also revealed its intention to remake some of the library's most famous films, although no specific titles were mentioned. Largely undisturbed after the theatrical release of the pictures, the Shaw Brothers library was hotly pursued by a number of companies, including major Hollywood studios. Mr Pfeiffer was ironically one of the bidders in his former capacity as managing director of Sony Pictures' Columbia Tri-Star. He says Celestial Pictures was chosen because of the ``good relationship'' between parent company Usaha Tegas and TVB. The Malaysian conglomerate is the parent company of Measat Broadcast Network Systems, which owns the Astro satellite and TV network. TVB products and channels are distributed on the Astro satellite platform. The Malaysian network made Hong Kong headlines last March when it dropped a 24 per cent stake in pay-TV licensee Galaxy Satellite Broadcasting. Celestial, which has existed for about a year, aims to increase its output of production, acquisition, commissioning, licensing and distribution of Asian-made content. Mr Pfeiffer says the tremendous growth opportunities in production and distribution are an offshoot of Asian audiences discovering more ``culturally relevant'' programming. ``In 1960s Japan, for example, half of programming was foreign; now it's less than 4 per cent. ``They don't have budgets to spend as the US markets do - US$1.5 million to US$2 million per one-hour episode - but then they don't need it. The stuff they make there is more compelling.'' Mr Pfeiffer says piracy was one of the reasons Shaw Brothers kept the library out of circulation. ``If they released it onto one format in one country, it would then be found around the rest of the region.'' Videos available through some websites are not official products. Copies may have been made when film rights from legitimate deals expired. ``We're not competing against other studios,'' Mr Pfeiffer says, ``we're competing against piracy because that's where the bulk of the revenue goes.''
    4 September 2001 / 01:14 AM
    (c) HK Mail

17. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Thanks Chris.
    Hopefully this restoration is happening and these movies will get decent releases as they deserve
    ------------------