Run Ronnie Run straight to DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BertFalasco, Sep 13, 2003.

1. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

I had thought RRR would be a theatrical release. I tend to associate straight to home releases not good enough to contend with others (theatrically released) as if the movie wouldn't make much and I hate that association, especially since this is RRR!!, which comes out Tuesday.

I can't talk about ads that come Saturday so I'll wait until tomorrow to disclose, etc.

-Bert

2. Casey L

Casey L Auditioning

I know it's a downer for fans of Bob and David (myself included), but the movie really is terrible. They've even gone as far as saying so on their site. They were shut out of the editing process and so they've disowned the movie. I understand fans will still be curious, or think "It can't be THAT bad," but trust me - it is.

Worth a rental at most.

3. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I am not familiar with this movie.
    Tell me more.

4. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

5. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I have a screener copy of the DVD. I wouldn't say it's "terrible"; it falls far, far, far short of the brilliance of Mr. Show, but it still has a few solid laughs, which is...well, a few more than most comedies. I'd actually say it's as funny as an episode of Mr. Show, but since the movie runs around three times the length of an episode, the laughs are dispersed over a much lengthier period of time. Fans of the show probably won't be particularly impressed, but many will find it at least worth a rental, I'd imagine. I wouldn't recommend it at all to those unfamiliar with the series, though.

6. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

7. Brian_L_Kleis

Brian_L_Kleis Stunt Coordinator

That's just really sad... Would have loved to see B&D pull a Terry Gilliam/Brazil and run the full page Variety ad...

Dear New Line Suits:

When are you going to release our picture " Run Ronnie Run " ???

Sincerely, Bob and David

Then we'd eventually be able to get a full Ronnie Dobbs Collector's Set from Criterion with the original theatrical release, the true Bob and David "Non-F'ed with Version", and the behind the scenes scoop on the possible mismanagement of what to do with this film...

Ok, wishful thinking I know, but hey, the Cubs are possibly getting into the playoffs this year - only one more sign of the apocalypse to go and this would be it!!!

[​IMG]

8. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    As a fan of "Mr. Show", I was extremely disappointed in "Run Ronnie Run."

Keep your expectations VERY low.

9. LeeL

LeeL Stunt Coordinator

But you gotta admit, the Jack Black "Mary Poppins" interlude was pretty funny...

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I just watched it last night. I thought it had a few truly hilarious moments, several mildly amusing moments...and some big long stretches of bleccch.

Overall I'd recommend the film to fans of Mr. Show. It's like a so-so episode of the show; the good bits salvage the rest.

The love song bit (also presented as a music video in the Special Features) is just drop-dead funny.

11. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    What type of extras are there on this? I have a bootleg, and have no idea what version it would be, from last year. I'm wondering if there are deleted scenes, etc. to bad there are no commetaries, as the ones on Mr. Show seaon 1 are hilarious (havn't watched all of season 3 yet).

If I find it on a deal I'll pick this up as a completist

12. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Russell: eight alternate/deleted scenes (around 15 minutes); a video for Three Times One Minus One's "The Greatest Love in History" (different than the one in the movie), and a trailer.

13. Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall Stunt Coordinator

Extras include deleted scenes and a music video. (Oh, and a trailer! Not a theatrical trailer, but a trailer for the DVD! Woohoo!)

I saw this movie at Sundance last year and enjoyed it, even if I was a little disappointed by it. The version they showed at the festival was a little longer, and what they cut out comprises some of the deleted scenes (like the bowling alley bit and a little bit more of Ronnie's kids). Also, I recall that the music video played during the ending credits.

I have to say that even though it's not the classic that Mr. Show fans wanted, it has some very funny moments that rank with some of the best material Bob and David have ever done. But I wouldn't be surprised if people who haven't seen the TV show like it more than those who have...

Jeff

14. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

After reading this thread and expecting the worst, I was actually pleasantly surprised with the movie. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible, either. All things considered, I think it's a pretty good movie. It doesn't live up to the show, but it's worth a viewing at the very least. Still, the DVD, while above-average, could have been better. It would have been nice to allow Bob and David to do a "director's cut". New Line offered dual cuts on "Jason Goes To Hell". A commentary track would have been nice, too. In the end credits, a behind-the-scenes documentarian is credited. I imagine a great documentary could have been created but who knows if we'll ever see a better edition?

15. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

BTW, to those who made cracks at KITH: Brain Candy.. you missed out; that movie was genious.. the Kids played all the roles, many of them playing numerous roles, and they did so well.. that movie came out near the start of the big Prozac craze, so a movie about a drug that made people happy was "unique" then.. but now, with the continuing advent of new drugs, it's a riot.. [​IMG]

(BTW, Run, Ronnie, Run isn't a great film, but if you're a fan of the show, it has enough laugh-out-loud moments to justify at least a rent)

16. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I'm forgainst it!

Doug

17. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

In my opinion, it's worth seeing just to see Jack Black's song. However, I must admit that I laughed pretty much through the whole movie.

In other words, I am also forgainst it! My immediate reaction was to say no... but I'm feeling rather yessy today.

18. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

I guess it can't hurt to rent it.