Run Roadrunner through USB or network card?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff peterson, Aug 27, 2002.

1. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I recently switched to Time Warner's Roadrunner cable modem service. The supplied modem can attach via a USB cable or network CAT-5 wire.

My PC only has USB input but I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to pick up a network PCI card on my way home from work today?

Opinions? Is one quicker than the other? My USB port is only 1.1 by the way, not the 2.0.

2. Andrew_Cramlet

USB can support up to (I think) about 8-10 Mb/s which is more than your cable modem can supply.

There are many reasons why I'd go with a network card, however if you aren't on a network with other computers and if you have all the USB ports you need, then I'd go with what you got - the USB interface.

Just my $.02

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Get a network card then get a DSL/cable router that can support your cable modem. Directly connecting your cable modem to your PC is just inviting hacking and other intrusions. It also prevents the ability to share your connetion to more the one PC.

Broadband routers provide hardware firewall functions as well as other features that make them a great asset even if you only have one PC. IMHO, anyone who has broadband but doesn't have a broadband router (or at the very least a separate *NIX-based system to act as a firewall) deserves to be hacked.

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I knew someone who had broadband hooked up through a USB port and had all sorts of problems. I dropped a NIC in the machine and all worked well.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    By all accounts a router (with firewall) is a very good thing to get.

7. John_Berger

8. John_Berger

9. MikeAlletto

10. John_Berger

But again you are just assuming that everyone in the world will take the precautions that you and I take. News flash! They won't. If they don't care enough to be comfortable losing 45% of a movie to pan-and-scan, they don't care enough about taking proper care of their PCs either. [​IMG]
    But I can guarantee that they'll go freakin' ballistic if they realize that they've been hacked because they didn't bother to take the proper precautions.
    And if someone can afford the monthly fees of a broadband connection, I would think that they can afford a

11. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

1st off, you are much better with the PCI networking card vs. the USB. USb will use more system resources. PCI will always be faster. Network cards can be had for $5 so might as well get one.
    2nd, if you arent hooking up more then 1 computer, you will NOT need a router as all of the TRUE home routers DO NOT have a firewall. They use Network Address Translation which has firewall properties and does a decent job of keeping people out by assigning each PC connect a different IP then what is visible to the outside world. What you really need is a software firewall like ZA(free version) or even better is ZA pro. This not only prevents things coming in, but will also let you know when things are being sent out when they are not supposed to. Warning, you must do a lot of reading and learn how to use a firewall properly (or a NAT router) in order to understand it and make it secure. I have a fulltime cable connection at home, NAT router and ZA pro on all of my PC's to lock them down.
    I am a network admin, have 7 servers and 50 workstations connected via T1 with a router with true firewall capabilities AND a HARDWARE firewall. Also use software firewall on my DMZ computers to secure them as well.
    That said, if you have a permanent (or even sporadic) connection and you dont use some type of firewall (at least a free software one). not only are you a fool, you are asking for trouble.
    My logs go off constantly at work and at home with people scanning my IPs.

12. John_Berger

13. MikeyWeitz

John, since I do this for a living (sounds like you may as well)[​IMG] , I am really not worried about being chastized by some clown who says, Gee, I dont use antivirus and I never had a problem, or nah, dont worry, you don't need a firewall even with a cable modem connected 24/7. If thats the way they want to think, thats fine with me, but it is dangerous and STUPID advice to give people.
    Oh and yes, I am a glutton for punishment by checking my logs every day :)
    The internet is a dangerous place to be cruising these days. If you don't think so, once again, you are foolish. In time one of those fools will be posting "I have been hacked, I have a virus, how can I save all my files before I wipe out my hard drive. How can I find out who stole my credit card # and charged 15k worth of stuff?
    thats why I spent (had my company spend [​IMG] $3500 a year on GLOBAL anti virus protection and $2k on a hardware firewall!!
    Forget about asking me about my phonecall to one of our customers who kept sending us email virus' every day for a week. In one of the emails it sent his login and ip addy to remotely control his router. After my sales guy wasn't successful convincing him he was sending us a virus(he kept telling him it was us sending it to them), I shut his whole internet connection down. I called him the next day and said, I bet you cant get online huh? He said how did you know... I said G, is your IP addy ........ I shut you down and changed your password :b

14. MikeAlletto

15. MikeyWeitz

Zone Alarm is Free (as are other personal software firewalls). Their is no reason not to use it. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.
    Here is something I found today:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...ping~mode=flat
    I am sure this guy is a complete nobody and he probably had people tell him he didn't need a firewall either for his always on connection.

16. John_Berger

17. John_Berger

18. Brian Hepler

Brian Hepler Stunt Coordinator

19. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

Is there actually a noticeable difference in speed between USB and an ethernet card? Safety concerns aside, how much would the speed be affected, if any? I have Roadrunner, hooked up to USB because I had forgotten this motherboard had built-in ethernet, but I didn't have the driver loaded so I told the guy just use the USB. I could always switch it, but I'd like to hear if it's really any big deal at all.
    And for firewalls, I wouldn't call someone dumb for not having a firewall, but that's what I'd be thinking. [​IMG] I know guys who walked right through Zone Alarm, (or was it Black Ice?), so when I was reading up on them, I went the Tiny Personal Firewall route. It's free, and it's rare I that I haven't seen it at the top of a reviewer's list.
    I was downloading some music videos yesterday, (80k a second is always nice), and my hard drive started running constantly. I had made a "don't ask me again" rule in the firewall before then for some file sharing, and now it looked like someone might have been taking advantage. I deleted the rule with two clicks, and the hard drive shut down again. I was more careful with the firewall rule the next time it popped up and asked me what to do.
    Things like Tiny Personal Firewall work great, and they're free. Even dial-up users should have *some* kind of firewall. And it's not like they're hard to use or get in the way or anything.

20. MikeyWeitz

You will notice a speed improvement and it will use less resources then a USB connect. It still is dumb for anyone with a constantly on connection to not use a firewall, especially a free one. Their is just no excuse not to and you are inviting trouble if you do not. I would like to seeyour friend who walked right thru ZA but cant on tiny personal firewall. ZA is very tough to hack (altho nbothing is impossible). cant go wrong with tiny (altho I never used it) or ZA.