Run Lola Run and Lola Rennt Same movie?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Phil Dally, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Phil Dally

Phil Dally Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if these are the same exact moviescene for scene, frame for frame, inch for inch. If not why different and which is better quality?
    Thanks

2. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Same movie, Lola Rennt was the original title in German. It literally means either "Lola Runs" or "Lola Running," not sure which one. Someone with actual knowledge of German will know. If you're wondering whether the American release was different from the German release in any way, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty certain they didn't change anything when it came to the US.

3. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

lola rent means in english lola runs or lola is running. as far as i know they where only changes in the opening titles on a german dvd releases. i dunno which dvd has the different opening as there 3 so far and # 4 is coming [​IMG]
    if you want the best quality then grab the region 1 as it has at this point true anamorphic transfer.

4. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

The R1 disc is fantastic and should be picked up at full speed. However, it does have the single worst English dub I've ever heard in my entire life. Just try to make it through the whole movie, I dare you.

5. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

I hate dubs with a passion. But occasionally, I'll put on a dub for a couple of minutes, just to see how badly they messed the film up. Indeed, the Run Lola Run dub is awful - the girl providing Lola's voice sounds like a typical dumb blonde, and doesn't come close to providing the tough determined attitude for the character. Ghastly.

6. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

Anyone know if any SE is in the works for this movie? It was one of the first DVD's I ever bought and is one of my favorite films ever since, Tykwer did an amazing job with it.

7. Adam_D

Adam_D Stunt Coordinator

i have to agree that this is a great film, but the english dub is horrid.

8. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    First foreign language film I ever got on DVD when I acquired my first player six years ago, and still my personal recommendation to anyone wanting an introduction to foreign cinema.

9. Keith E

Keith E Stunt Coordinator

Same here, the first foreign film purchased and was a huge enjoyment. I could not reccomend this movie enough.[​IMG]

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I remember back in 2000 my brother saw this on cable and told me he thought it was the dumbest movie he had ever seen, that the way they talked reminded him of old Godzilla movies...I of course realised that he had seen the dubbed version. For a year I tried to get him to watch it with the original soundtrack but he wouldn't bite....finally he gave in and afterwards he said that it was a totally different film without the english dubbing.

Thanks to this film I finally convinced him to get over his "I hate reading during a movie" hang-up and watch Seven Samurai which I had been trying to get him to watch for years....he loved it![​IMG]

11. James D

James D Second Unit

You want to hear a terrible dub, then check out Ichi the Killer. The dub is done by British actors with very British accents for a Japanese movie.[​IMG] I would love to see Run Lola Run get the Superbit treatment. Maybe they can get rid of that annoying blue vertical line.

12. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Is there a good OAR R1 release in original language and English subs?

what is the best version to buy and is it available in Canada. Thought I saw a Foolscreen version only at store last time I checked.

13. Matt_M

Matt_M Stunt Coordinator

You can get the OAR release with English dubs in Canada.Just make sure it's the Columbia/Tristar version and not the Seville pictures version as that one is P&S. The DVD is a flipper and one side contains the widescreen version. The specs are listed on the back.

14. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Can anyone pass along the UPC of the "good" R1 version? I too have only seen the lousy P&S version in local stores, and descriptions by my usual Canadian etailers are poor. Thanks.

15. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

It looks like the correct UPC for the OAR release is 43396-04014 according to DVD Profiler.

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

CraigF, I'm fairly sure that DeepDiscountDVD, DVD Planet & DVD Empire all ship to Canada so why not just go through them? I guarantee the version you are looking for can easily be found at those sites and at a good price too.....now the shipping costs may be another matter entirely. That's up to your own discretion.

17. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    David: That UPC is correct for the original U.S. release. It appears there is a recently released "American" version in Canada, by Seville, very cheap, but doesn't list subtitles (or the music video) as present. I'm pretty sure subtitles must be there, it does look just like the U.S. release, just don't want to end up with a disc that might have only an English dub if it's that bad.

Kevin: Yes, I *could* order from the U.S., but if the above-mentioned version is OK, the disc costs about what shipping alone from DDDVD would, so I'd like to find that out first.

18. Matt_M

Matt_M Stunt Coordinator

Yeah the UPC code is correct. I remember I had the same problem because there were 2 versions of this movie. Look around and you should be able to find it.

19. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Well, I finally got this disc from DVDSoon (ordered shortly after my last post in this thread) and it is *not* the American version as pictured on their site. Big disappointment!! It is still the Seville P&S POS. Old stock?? The old P&S version is no longer listed. Apparently has the same UPC as the new Seville anamorphic WS version...sounds fishy to me, but then it's Seville. So be wary if ordering from DVDS for now...I'll update if I get the proper one (it was only Cdn$11 at the time, seemed too good to be true...).

20. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Perhaps I missed it, but does the R1 Columbia version have the original German track with subtitles? Everyone keeps talking about the bad English dub, and although it might be funny to sample for a minute or two, I want the original language track.

Believe or not, the Oxygen network (Oprah's channel) aired this movie with the German lanugage track and english subs not too long ago. It was fool screen, but I was impressed that they went with the German audio.