What's new

Run HDMI cable short distance out doors to media closet? (1 Viewer)

baileymoto

Auditioning
Real Name
Bailey J
Just bought a new house and I am looking for a way to use a closet for all my media. I prefer a very simple/minimalistic approach in the living room and would like to end up with simply a TV and no visible boxes. I'd hook up the xbox, cable box, etc to a switch inside the closet. I'd likely keep the HTPC (Mac Mini) on a glass shelf or something similar right under the TV.

This is a spanish/pueblo style home and is built on a concrete slab with a flat roof.. which means no basement, crawlspace, or attic. Fortunately, the TV and closet are on the same exterior wall and a relatively short distance from each other.

I was thinking that I could simply run an HDMI cable from behind the TV, then along the wall (outside), then back into the home and terminate inside the closet. I haven't measured yet, but a 50 foot cable would likely be more than enough...I'd likely be able to get a much short cable. I would probably put the cable inside some sort of conduit/PVC pipe and bury would I could. I'd plan on non of the cable actually being exposed to the sun.

This is in the southwest region (New Mexico) where it gets just a tad below freezing during the coldest part of winter nights and a bit over 100 during the hottest part of summer.

Here are a couple pictures of the setup and outside wall. You can see the closet to the right side of the picture (under the stairs and catwalk) What do you guys think of this idea? Any other suggestions?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It should work fine. Make sure your conduit is large enough for additional runs of cable. You never, ever have enough cable. I ran about 3,000 feet of cable in my house during the build and it wasn't enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks