Run and gun games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by David Nguyen, Sep 13, 2005.

1. David Nguyen

David Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

I just recently got a PS2 after being out of the video game thing (haven't owned a system since the Turbografx.) I'm looking for a simple game that will allow me to just go crazy, or run and gun, if you will, since all I have so far are sports games.

I don't even know if there is anything like that out there, but maybe you guys know of something. I played Syphon Filter on the old PS awhile back, and liked how you could just lock on to a target with one button, and still be able to shoot it while running, etc. I've also played Metal Gear 3 on a friend's system, and found that too be too involving. So far, Mercenaries seems to be the only game I can find that fits the bill, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. [​IMG] Any thoughts?

2. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

David:

Were you looking for something strictly from a third-person perspective, or is the viewpoint unimportant? You may want to consider Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain, which is the PS2 installment of the franchise. The control scheme has been revised somewhat, but the gameplay is fairly similar. It's also a Greatest Hits title, so you should be able to secure a copy for under $20.

kill.switch may also be in line of what you're looking for in a shooter. Another inexpensive title that can be had for under $20. Check the gameplay videos at IGN. Other titles worth investigating include Red Dead Revolver and Darkwatch.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

First of all try Metal Slug. Good mindless fun that'll keep you entertained for hours. [​IMG]

Other games of interest:

MK: Shaolin Monks
    Urban Reign
    X-Men Legends 2

Personally I wish they'd release a modern-day Final Fight or Streets of Rage. It still may not look right 3D or cell-shaded, not gritty enough, so I'd be more than happy with a detailed 2D edition. But not so sure those games sell anymore. :

4. David Nguyen

Scott: I feel the same way! I feel so old, for hanging on to the games of yesteryear. I'm actually thinking of buying Capcom's upcoming compilation, since it comes with Final Fight. There's also a modernized version of Final Fight coming up, although its a 3rd person game, in the mold of well...pretty much every other game.

But yes, somebody needs to release an old school side scrolling game like Final Fight or Streets of Rage.

Ken: Thanks for the great suggestions. Kill Switch will be on my list.

5. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Run 'n gun 3rd person: Ratchet and Clank series, especially Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal. Great games, huge ass weapons, have a blast.

Side scrolled: Viewtiful Joe and Viewtiful Joe 2: good old fashioned side scrolling beat the crap out of everything. Oh, and hard as hell too. Not for the faint of heart.

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Not sure if Gunvalkyrie could be truly classified as run and gun but an exeptional game. Just takes a lot of getting used to.

7. Ken Chui

Control-wise, it has a significant learning curve; it's also an Xbox-only title. [​IMG]

8. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Oh shit - I completely missed the "PS2" in the original post. :b

9. David Nguyen

I couldn't find Killswitch at any of the local stores around me (Target, Best Buy, Circuit City) so I ended up getting Mercenaries for $25 after a $5 off coupon at Best Buy.

The game is pretty fun, but I get kinda nauseous from the constant POV changes that come with having to move in all different directions to aim. Too bad it doesn't have an auto-aiming feature. I think its the 3rd person POV in general that makes me dizzy.

I wish game rentals weren't so expensive; I'm tempted to try the other games you guys suggested, but Hollywood Video and Ballbuster Video charge 7-8 bucks! Being the frugal gamer, I might as well just buy the games, since most of these are in the $20-30 range.

10. Ken Chui

You may want to check other B&M retailers such as EB Games, Gamestop, Gamerush/Blockbuster, Fry's, as well as online sites such as Half.com and Outpost.com. There may be non-traditional outlets (such as supermarkets) that are worth checking out. Even Radio Shack's website will be carrying video games very shortly. Your best bet may be Half.com, where kill.switch can be had for under $10 new & sealed (+ S/H).