Run a stereo amp with different loads on each channel?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Aaron Howell, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

I've read that running a single channel of a stereo amp can be harmful for an amp. I don't remember why, and I can't remeber where I read it to search. Is anyone familiar with this?

At the same time, would it be harmful to run a different load on each channel? IE: running a mid off the right channel, and a tweeter off the left.

Thx
    Aaron

2. John S

John S Producer

Could depend on the amp / design. Generally it is fine though, both of those scenerios.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For biamping, there are two methods - vertical and horizontal. Vertical is using one channel each from a stereo amp for each of the terminals on one speaker. Horizontal is using amp A to drive the mids, and amp B to drive the tweeters; supposedly to ballance the loads. The drivers draw the same amount of current either way, so I don't think it will make a considerable amount of difference with the average speaker.

4. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

Thx! That is exactly what I'm checking into. Just going over everything since I remember hearing the above. I could have sworn it was a member of the Cult forums, but searching it has come up with nil. [​IMG]

5. John S

John S Producer

There are some essoteric(sp?) amplifier designs that this would probably not be a good idea. 99% of amps, it is no problem at all.

Mismatched loads or not inputing any signal to one of the channel are generally fine.