rumour of universal cambridge audio player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by PaulDA, Apr 6, 2004.

1. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I was in a Montreal audio store today, looking at the Cambridge Audio 640C CD player (would consider DVD player, but it's not universal) when the manager told me Cambridge Audio is planning to release a universal player sometime later this year. Anyone heard anything about this?

2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I'd love to know myself, although I see myself pulling the trigger here on the 640C very shortly, if I can be directed to an authorized retailer.

What's interesting is how a seperate like this would compare, audio wise, say to a Denon 2900? (Although I know this Cambridge doesn't have the high rez stuff.)

3. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
  4. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I am Q, Paul. [​IMG] I read that. That was very interesting. I like this guy's idea of coupling this awesome 640c with a relatively inexpensive Hi-Rez player, but I have to wonder what kind of quality I'm really getting on Hi Rez at under $200.

I am patient. I'd rather get the best now, which means, get the 640c to support my substantial CD collection. If I have to, depending on money, I can wait until 2005 and then buy a good hi rez player, like maybe...the Denon 2900 or the Yamaha s2500 or something like that.

That's an interesting one: Denon 2900 vs. Cambridge 640c.

What's fascinating here is, if you click on Ovation's link in that thread you referred me to, he bought both the Cambridge AND a nice Marantz universal player and STILL thought the CD's sounded better on the dedicated seperate, the Cambridge. That's the kind of thing I read that makes me really compelled, since I have a nice CD collection and it is my first priority, of buying the 640c.

5. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    That was me. Ovation is the kind of guitar I own and is my handle pretty much everywhere except here, as they wouldn't accept it.

6. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    [​IMG]

7. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Based on the pedigree of this brand, that might really be something worth waiting for.

I could see me getting the 640c now for redbook and then picking up this universal in 05 whenever it comes out.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Here's what I would hope: that if Cambridge did do a universal player, that it would be a step up from Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, etc. But what I would *expect*, is that it would take them some time to get the video right. I.e., Arcam players suffer from some video problems that the large Japanese manufacturers have already solved. I guess I'd also be interested that if they did a ground-up design, or just hodge-podged together a machine from a Pioneer kit like a lot of companies seem to do...

9. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Well, considering how awesome the 59avi is, to the point that Pioneer doesn't even need to bother coming out with a new unit like Denon does every year (I think this is rather telling), if they go ahead and use the 59avi as their base and work off of there, that sounds like an unbeatable combination to me. [​IMG]

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The 59AVi has:

o IMO, a poor layer change delay

o deinterlacing which while an improvement over previous Pioneer players, is still not as good as Faroudja or Silicon Image

o poor bass management for DVD-A and SACD, and no time delay for SACD

o lightweight construction at only 12 lbs.

11. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    [​IMG]

Wow. You're the first person I've run across that's had negative things to say about that unit. You should PM those points over to thebland at AVS and see what kind of discussion you get into! [​IMG]

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

That's just it. I am not the first. [​IMG] All of those facts are available either on Pioneer's web site, or the DVD player shootout that Secrets does, or in various reviews that have been done by other web sites or published magazines.

There is a 59AVi vs 5900 thread over on AVS somewhere. Almost all people preferred the audio on the 5900, and a lot preferred the video. Now with the 3910 out, and a lot of people saying that the 3910's video beats the 5900 (minimized macroblocking), and for the money, the 3910's audio is certainly competitive with the 5900. It kind of follows that the 3910 is also quite competitive with the 59AVi. But the 59AVi is Pioneer's flagship player, and the 3910 isn't Denon's. Be interesting to see how the 3910 "officially" does when its results are put up on Secrets sometime next week.

If you really think the 59AVi is such a good player, you should consider getting one. I know that if you look around, you can find them for closer to around $800. [​IMG] But that should also raise an eyebrow. A $1600 list player for close to $800? What does that say about how much profit Pioneer is making on each one, and the actual cost of its construction? Could you ever imagine getting any current Denon player for 40% off?

I have had Pioneer players for years (414, 333, Elite 05, 45a, and 47Ai), but I am truly disappointed that Pioneer doesn't build a better flagship model. If they did, I'd buy it in a second, and I wouldn't be currently planning on getting a 3910... Like I have mentioned, I really do like Pioneer's analog output stages, but they can do so much better with the video... Maybe the 69AVi will be it! [​IMG]