Rumors on Xbox Successor 'HomeStation'

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_A, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

http://theregister.co.uk/content/54/23722.html
    "according to Prudential Securities analyst Hans Mosesmann. Speaking to EBN, Mosesmann claimed that he'd picked up sufficient information at CES to confirm that the device, the HomeStation, will be given the go-ahead.
    HomeStation will be based on the Xbox, but will in effect be a cheap combination entertainment system and home gateway, including video recording and DVD.
    Presuming that Microsoft successfully rolls out Xbox in Europe and Japan, and meets demand, then an announcement leading to a HomeStation launch around Q3 this year would make most sense."

2. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I dunno. I can't imagine ANYONE coming up with a new machine and having it's name SOOOOOOOO close to a competitors name.

You say Homestation, and the 1st thing that I would think is, "oh, a new Sony product".

Even a lame name like, Xbox II, would be a better idea.

3. Chris_Anders

Chris_Anders Stunt Coordinator

I would Be PISSED OFF if Microsoft rolled out an updated version of the xbox just a year after their first console release. Boy that would suck if they came out with a better product only a year after I dropped close to 1000$ on the Xbox, accessories and games.

Lets just hope that this is a rumor.

4. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

The Homestation rumors were denied a while ago by Microsoft.

I'm not sure which planet this analyst was living on for the past 6 months, but file the Homestation rumor under Ancient History.

5. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I seem to remember Microsoft denying the X-Box rumors until they officially announced it. I have a feeling that the Homestation will in fact prove to be a reality. Besides, we all know Microsoft has a hidden agenda when it comes to the X-Box. Game machine or something more? Hmmmm....

6. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Gimmie a break. [​IMG]

7. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd

8. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Well, that's basically what Sony is doing, so I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft enhances Xbox2 in a similar fashion.

However, the "HomeStation" concept was entirely ridiculous, and the purported specs wouldn't have been Xbox compatible, anyway (nor would the machine have had enough extra power to effectively run a software emulation layer).

Of course, Microsoft already has UltimateTV, Windows XP, and the Xbox. Why sell 1 product when you can sell 3?

9. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Any chance they can build in a cooler for my beer?

10. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

I imagine if Microsoft was going to release such a product so soon they would make it backwards compatible so it would support all the xbox games. The only difference being it would have the added features built in and would retail for more money. Also, Microsoft would have no choice but to deny the HomeStation coming out until pretty close to its release date, in fear that people would hold off on buying the current xbox and wait until the new product comes out. The same holds true if a manufacturer plans on dropping the price of a console. If they dont deny it, then people will wait for the price to drop before they purchase it.

11. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I can't think of any reason that the heir to the xbox would be out that quickly-if it was there would have to be some way to upgrade an existing box. That being said, I'l like to have the ability to record TV with a PVR (given that nobody offers them here yet...)

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The HomeStation isn't a new console, its kinda like a glorified DVD player that plays X-Box games. Its more of an "entertainment system" than a game console.

13. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Where in this article was it declared that Homestation was the Xbox's successor? To me this sounds exactly like Panasonic's DVD/Gamecube player in Japan. If it gets released, there's a 99% chance that it will use the same Xbox hardware that's currently available.

14. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

HomeStation is what Microsoft originally designed the Xbox to be, but developers/publishers didn't like the idea, so MS went back and made the Xbox.

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The GameQ (GameCube from Panasonic that plays DVDs) is a good example of what the HomeStation's idea was.

But, it won't be released, AFAIK. MS is thinking of using similar technology in future projects, but hasn't announced anything.

16. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Looks like Microsoft has killed Ultimate TV and moved some of the Ultimate TV team to the X-Box division. Interesting...

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

They've openly said that they will continue to use X-Box technology in other stuff and have ideas for multi-function devices, like (I just made this up, don't take it literally) UltimateTVs that surf the web and play games.

18. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Todd, I saw that story too. However, people may be reading too much into this (or not). They may have needed to beef up the Xbox's online team, and are moving these experienced people there rather than letting them go elsewhere.

On the other hand, it looks to me like the Homestation (not necessarily a sequel to Xbox but a seperate product) just may become a reality.