What's new

Rumored The Passion of the Christ SE (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I stumbled across something interesting regarding the possible TPotC SE.

LA Studios - Click on "What's New" and scroll down.

Margarita Mix de Santa Monica continues to broaden its scope and recently recorded and mixed DVD commentaries for high profile titles including: Alexander, Heat, Passion of the Christ, Ray, HBO's Deadwood, Alfie, Collateral, and the Matrix trilogy special edition box set.

I guess there could be other explanations but the most logical would seem to be an SE in the not too distant future.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I think we are going to see a two-disc SE released, one with the original cut, and the other with the "PG-13" version, a version Gibson feels is appropriate for Bible study classes and church functions for older Christian teens.

It would not surprise me at all to see the commentary on the 1st disc for the director's cut of The Passion, while the second disc contains the youth-friendly version, and multiple special features.

Now, I'm just talking out of my lower orafaces, I have no idea what is really going to go down. I'm just guessing here.

Peace out, and God bless,

Ernest Rister

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm debating on whether or not to just pick this up for Easter. I've read that the transfer is nothing to write home about.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
"Newmarket has no plans to release a DVD or video version of "The Passion Recut." "

Charlotte Observer (might req. reg.)

Ernest, I posted this in the movie thread but I guess you didn't see it, or you don't trust me, or you think the CO is a rag. ;)

That one hadn't even occured to me. Terrible writing on the website if that happened to be the case. Seems a bit of a stretch. Still that's why I covered my arse pretty good in the original post. :)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Ah well. Either way this isn't a movie I have much of a desire to own. It's one I'll rent once a year to watch during Lent, and that's about it. It's too painful to watch more often, and it's not one that I want to be desensitized to, or really have any desire to pull back the curtain and see how it was made. This one is just fine the way it is. Although a Papal commentary might get me to buy it. :)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Actually, I'd heard on WAY-FM from Nashville just two days ago that a longer version of the film was going to be released in the near future. From what I'd heard, an additional six minutes of footage, much of it additional graphic violence, was going to be restored to the film. Granted, I don't know if this longer version would be represented on a possible future SE of the DVD, or if the deleted scenes will be featured in a separate section. I'm just going by what I heard on the radio. But my wife and I have already agreed that if and when the SE comes out, we're getting it for our collection.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

Actually, since WAY-FM is a Christian radio station that goes out nationwide, given the amount of time that the radio hosts were discussing the topic, I would say it's very likely possible that a longer cut of the film is indeed in the works and could be intended for a SE DVD. I've contacted Jeff and Elizabeth at WAY-FM to obtain a clarification on it.

Update: I just received an e-mail from Elizabeth Grattan at WAY-FM, and she has confirmed that the film will in fact be edited down for re-release. So it's very possible we will see that re-edited version either in theaters or on a SE DVD, much the same way that "Saturday Night Fever" was re-edited to a PG for its 1978 re-release.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Well, since FOX owns the DVD distribution rights, the above statement seems pretty obvious.;)

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

When the re-cut was announced, they specifically said that, despite Gibson's intention to cut down some of the violence because some people had avoided seeing it because of the violence, it was still going to be rated R, so Gibson won't submit it to the ratings board and will release it unrated.

http://comingsoon.net/news.php?id=8311

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing Ernest probably knew that and that's why he put PG-13 in quotes. Gibson was going for a PG-13.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
There has been no more talk about a Special Edition of The Passion of the Christ. Is it safe to assume there won't be one?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I guess this was a rumor after all? Fine with me, since the film really speaks for itself. Although, it would be nice if an SE did happen so we could see the original subtitles in the less crappy font.

Actually, roughly 45-50 minutes of violence in the film. In fact, the first hour of the film hardly has violence outside of the garden fight and while Jesus is being led to the temple. It's practically a myth that it's violent from the first frame to the last.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Josh, I picked it up this past Spring for Easter, and was very pleased with the picture and sound quality. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I thought the picture was a little funky, compared to what I saw in the theaters, and the player generated subtitles were awful. I'm guessing we well hear more on this, if it is happening, closer to Easter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks