What's new

Rumored Doris Day DVDs in 2005 (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Stephen Munns of DorisDayTribute.com reports on his site that Warners Bros. confirmed to him that in May, in addition to the four DVDs already rumored (Please Don't Eat The Daisies and The Glass Bottom Boat) and announced (Love Me Or Leave Me and Billy Rose's Jumbo), the following two movies will also be released in Region 1: Young Man With A Horn and Lullaby Of Broadway! With Columbia releasing It Happened To Jane on 2/22, this is shaping up to be a great year for Doris on DVD! While I can't wait to get all of the above, I am really looking forward to Young Man With A Horn.

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
That's great news, especially with regards to YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN, which also features terrific performances by Kirk Douglas (as a thinly disguised Bix Beiderbecke), Lauren Bacall (as a neurotic she-bitch from hell!!), Hoagy Carmichael and Juano Hernandez in one of his best roles, beautifully shot by Ted McCord and directed with real elan by Michael Curtiz - can't wait!

Sergio

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I hope that FOX jumps on the Doris Day bandwagon and releases "MOVE OVER DARLING". on DVD. That would be great!!!

DaveK

Second Unit
What about Romance on the High Seas (1948), My Dream is Yours and It's A Great Feeling (both 1949). These were her first three films.

I forgot Storm Warning (1951) with Ginger Rogers and Ronald Regan about the KKK. Does Warner have the rights to this movie because I never saw it on TCM.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
DaveK - Warners does indeed own STORM WARNING. It has been on TCM, but not in a great many years.

I had high hopes that this movie would be released at some point. Although it doesn't look like it will happen in 2005, one can hope for 2006 or 2007.

Good news about the other titles. Thanks for the info.

Steve

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The two rarest films with Doris are Storm warning dand Starlift. Doris has just a guest spot in the film with Gordon Macrae and, I have been told that Warners did a video master when they released a;; her films inthe early ninties on VHS and Laser.
What I was told was that Warner vid would be releasing five Doris films, but only her MGM films. The package would include all the mGM films already mentioned but also Tunnel of Love, which, frankly is not a very good film. the package was to also include Julie. Now these two seem to have been dropped and replaced with two of her Warner Musicals. Keep them coming!!
BTW - trivia time. Lullaby of Broadway has some interesting dubbing. Warners would sometimes dub people who otherwise sang for themselves. Gene Nelson is dubbed by a wonderful singer, Hal Derwin. Hal dubbed for Gene in a few other non Doris Warner musicals.
Hal also dubbed for Lee Bowman in Smash up - the Story of a Woman and again, for Bowman, in the doris Day film My Dream is Yours. Hal also sang for Robert Cummings who sang for himself at Fox, in the Doris Day film lucky Me.
Over at Columbis, Hal sang for Larry Parks in the Rita Hayworth musical, Down to earth. In the original pressbook for the film, Columbia says,"you've seen Larry sing with the voice of al Jolson. Now hear his real voice !!. It was a lie.
It
s good to see more musicals on DVD with upcoming goodies including My Sister Eileen, oN a clear day You Can see Forever, lil Abner, darling lili etc.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

BryanV: I couldn't agree more!! Given that we got The Country Girl and some other Paramount mid-fifties films this last year, I am hopeful that TP is on the way relatively soon. I hope.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Joe Caps (or anyone else),

Is there a rights issue with Storm Warning or is this simply a case where the studio honestly believes no one would buy this? This film is mentioned often enough here and some other classic movie forums I read that I've got to believe the demand for this is bigger than what Warners gives it credit for.

Thanks!

Steve

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

It is sort of a Catch 22 in that the studio thinks there is no demand, yet the film has been so little seen that no one even knows it exists.

Someone here said it played on Cinemax in the 90's and a couple other stations. I read the TV listings pretty obsessively and this has been one of my most wanted to see films for the past 15 or so years and I've never seen it listed on TV.

A couple bootlegs showed up on Ebay and went for between $50-$100 so there is demand for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks