What's new

Rumor: Remastered Rocky and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on the way (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Richard Pyke said:
"Once Upon A Time In Italy " by Sir Christopher Frayling covers the Dollars Trilogy as well as OUATITW and Duck You Sucker. It's a great read and contains some wonderful interviews, photos and poster art.
Thank you!

DSmith1984 said:
Isn't that book basically a reprinting of his book "Something To Do With Death" but under a new title?
No. STDWD is Frayling's biography of Sergio Leone. Another good read, incidentally.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Turning back to ROCKY...

There is an interesting article on the new Blu-ray release via
Home Media Magazine.

The references to the 8mm Home Movies can be seen in the
YouTube clip below.

I am most interested in a possible repurchase, but I am not
going to buy the full set again. I would opt to wait for a single
Blu-ray reissue which I am confident will happen by year's end.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I mentioned the 8mm home movies (which appear in two different areas of the extras) in my review of the set here.

I think you can safely assume MGM has not finished with Rocky Blu-ray editions yet. :)

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
The way the dialog on the remastered Good Bad Ugly follows the actors around the screen is the stupidest load of gimmicky nonsense I've ever heard in a movie. Who has a home theater big enough for that to be effective?

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Ambient sound yes, but principal dialog moving from speaker to speaker in the middle of a conversation is very distracting. It sounds like volume dropouts and does not make me feel like I am "in the movie". No theater is big enough for that to be anything but annoying.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Rob Mac said:
Ambient sound yes, but principal dialog moving from speaker to speaker in the middle of a conversation is very distracting. It sounds like volume dropouts and does not make me feel like I am "in the movie". No theater is big enough for that to be anything but annoying.
This used to be widespread for movies with 4-track or 6-track magnetic sound and was very effective when done properly.

Of course today we have movies that used to have directional sound and everything is crammed in the center channel in their Blu-ray releases while movies like TGTBTU now have directional sound that was never part of the original presentation - no, thanks.

Why you think that the sound of an actor should not follow him when he is moving across the screen is beyond me as I find it annoying when somebody moves from the left to the right edge of the screen while his voice always comes out of the middle.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
OliverK said:
This used to be widespread for movies with 4-track or 6-track magnetic sound and was very effective when done properly.

Of course today we have movies that used to have directional sound and everything is crammed in the center channel in their Blu-ray releases while movies like TGTBTU now have directional sound that was never part of the original presentation - no, thanks.

Why you think that the sound of an actor should not follow him when he is moving across the screen is beyond me as I find it annoying when somebody moves from the left to the right edge of the screen while his voice always comes out of the middle.
Exactly, in modern films they often use audio to enhance a scene, for example in Rise Of The Guardians, the last 3D film i watched, there is a scene where the bad guy's voice is heard in the left front, the center, the right front, and each rear speaker as the character is supposed to be moving around, ( offscreen ) it's very effective and works great.

I have heard many classic films with front directionality of voices and it is effective when used right.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
Exactly, in modern films they often use audio to enhance a scene, for example in Rise Of The Guardians, the last 3D film i watched, there is a scene where the bad guy's voice is heard in the left front, the center, the right front, and each rear speaker as the character is supposed to be moving around, ( offscreen ) it's very effective and works great.
That is a very good use of directionality, too and it works for everybody!Regarding being able to enjoy directionality I think that a bigger TV or a projection screen and/or speakers close enough to the sides of the picture are essential. That was one of the things I noticed with my first projection setup and coming from a tiny 27" tube television - for the first time the picture was big enough for the sound :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any further news on specs and the release date for The Man With No Name 4K Trilogy set?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Brandon Conway said:
amazon.ca (Canada) is now listing it as 6/3. I expect that's the same for the US.
Thanks! It would be nice to see the formal press release for the title. Hopefully that is coming shortly too.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well I've no idea what's going on. Amazon UK has the steelbook released ay the end of May, but they don't say if it's the new re-mastered version, & at £18.50 it's more expensive than the US three films set. I'm not paying that sort of money, & I'm not buying the set where I already have two movies, & I don't think I'm alone. But still no press release yet, so who knows. I do know that I'm in no rush at all & will end up with just the re-mastered GBU at a reasonable price £9-£12, after all this is a studio putting right a third rate release, & at this point who knows if they've made a good job of it this time.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
All we need is another 50% off sale (and Fox has them almost weekly)
and it will certainly be worth repurchasing the entire trilogy set for TGTB&TU.

Anyone know if the remastered version is up to par of the Italian release?
Hopefully it will be better, bit of sharpening applied to the Italian release which adds some halo's to the action, look at the top part of the hat and the wooden posts in the image below as just one example, it also sharpens the film grain a touch too much, at least sand looks the right colour in the Italian edition.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=355&disc2=356&cap1=3708&cap2=3721&art=full&image=9&hd_multiID=198&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks