What's new

Rumor Mill - Quinn Martin's Tales of the Unexpected being evaluated for release (1 Viewer)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I don't know if this means anything or not but a source of mine at Paramount told me that the person who is involved with DVD releases has pulled the source elements on the show to evaluate them. Could be just a formality or maybe they are seriously considering a release and they're checking to make sure the prints are in good shape and don't need any major restoration. For the record, I just screened a few episodes of the series myself and for the most part, it's a really good show. Very short run, only 8 episodes made unfortunately.

Brian:C

Stunt Coordinator
-----I just screened a few episodes of the series myself
-----and for the most part, it's a really good show. Very
-----short run, only 8 episodes made unfortunately.

Hi Michael, If this is the 78' series, TV.com shows it running over 100 episodes. I'm not familiar with it. Might have been cancelled then syndicated.

Brian

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator
Michael is actually referring to a long-forgotten 1977 series on NBC, not to be confused with "Roald Dahl's Tales Of The Unexpected" which is the 100+ episode series listed on TV.com

edwardssr

Auditioning
Real Name
Shon R. Edwards
I have waited for this to come out for many years on DVD. Hopefully they will do so soon. This original message was written a little over 5 years ago, so hopefully that's not a bad sign. Here's to good luck!

edwardssr

Auditioning
Real Name
Shon R. Edwards
Still waiting. There are two people I know of who have the series on VHS, but are unwilling to share. Too bad. If we could get this spread around it would be great!:)

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
I recall this series. Here in the UK to avoid confusion with Anglia's (ROALD DAHL'S) TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED, the series was retitled in the UK as TWIST IN THE TALE, and screened by ITV

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
edwardssr said:
Still waiting. There are two people I know of who have the series on VHS, but are unwilling to share. Too bad. If we could get this spread around it would be great! :)

Really? All of the episodes or just a few? I know the 2-hour episode came out on VHS and TV Land ran another episode so those are easy to find. I think maybe another couple exist from off-air records but I never heard of the full run being around. Having seen them all, really the first and the last episodes are great but the others are pretty pedestrian at best. The remake of The Invaders pilot isn't bad but its a virtual remake.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
nowayout1.png

QUINN MARTIN'S TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED (NBC 1977) would make an interesting DVD (or Blu-ray) release to be sure.

Former Quinn Martin tv series star Roy Thinnes (aka David Vincent on the Quinn Martin produced THE INVADERS) made a guest appearance in the debut episode "The Final Chapter" (02/02/1977).

If Paramount is indeed currently scouting for prospective (now) syndicated tv properties to release then it doesn't have to look any further then ONE STEP BEYOND (ABC 1959-61) and continuing where it left off.

Many of us have been vigorously lobbying for it and perhaps now is the right time to resume the fine work already started.

Please CBS Television-Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment bring us more of ONE STEP BEYOND!

Jeff T.

:D

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I barely remember that... wasn't it like an imitation Night Gallery?

JeffT.

Deceased Member
vlcsnap-2014-05-03-13h09m22s178.png

Very much so. It was a fatalistic downbeat anthology tv series in the NIGHT GALLERY (NBC 1970-73) vein.

It also bears more than a passing resemblance to Joseph Stefano's earlier spinoff pilot THE UNKNOWN (ABC 1964) derived from THE OUTER LIMITS (ABC 1963-65) episode "The Forms of Things Unknown" (04/05/1964).

Likely deemed too depressing and starkly grim for the average tv viewer at the time. And its late night primetime birth at 10:00 p.m. E.T. didn't help matters either.

QUINN MARTIN'S TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED is better appreciated nowadays than it was in its day.

Jeff T.

:D

edwardssr

Auditioning
Real Name
Shon R. Edwards
Really? All of the episodes or just a few? I know the 2-hour episode came out on VHS and TV Land ran another episode so those are easy to find. I think maybe another couple exist from off-air records but I never heard of the full run being around. Having seen them all, really the first and the last episodes are great but the others are pretty pedestrian at best. The remake of The Invaders pilot isn't bad but its a virtual remake.

Hi Neil! Yes, one guy told me back in about 2000 he had copies available for $20 for several episodes. When I checked with him again a year later, he said no. Subsequent e-mails have yielded no response. I got a copy off a guy in Ireland of "No Way Out" and "The Nomads" in about December 2014. I think almost everyone has a copy of that one that was made commercially, "Force of Evil". So far, these are the only 3 I have. I have only ever seen (besides "Force of Evil") these 3. I have been in touch with a person who had "A Hand for Sonny Blue", but unfortunately didn't grab it and have lost track of the person who had it and her contact inform.

I have only seen it in its original form, on NBC in 1977, and then later, in copies from 1999 from TV Land (that was the icon in the bottom right-hand part of the screen. TV Land appeared to have been the only other broadcast of the shows.

johnnyes

Auditioning
Real Name
johnnyes
Hi Neil! Yes, one guy told me back in about 2000 he had copies available for $20 for several episodes. When I checked with him again a year later, he said no. Subsequent e-mails have yielded no response. I got a copy off a guy in Ireland of "No Way Out" and "The Nomads" in about December 2014. I think almost everyone has a copy of that one that was made commercially, "Force of Evil". So far, these are the only 3 I have. I have only ever seen (besides "Force of Evil") these 3. I have been in touch with a person who had "A Hand for Sonny Blue", but unfortunately didn't grab it and have lost track of the person who had it and her contact inform.

I have only seen it in its original form, on NBC in 1977, and then later, in copies from 1999 from TV Land (that was the icon in the bottom right-hand part of the screen. TV Land appeared to have been the only other broadcast of the shows.
Hello everyone, I'm also looking for that episode "The Final Chapter" of Quinn Martin´s Tales of the Unexpected February 2, 1977. Someone has found it or not yet?

Thinnesfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin Baugh
Hello everyone, I'm also looking for that episode "The Final Chapter" of Quinn Martin´s Tales of the Unexpected February 2, 1977. Someone has found it or not yet?
Hi all. I too am looking for The Final Chapter. Has it turned up anywhere please?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks